8DIO Intimate Studio Winds

cclarry

After seeing  8Dio having a full scale attack on them at VI Control led by an influencer/coder that is angry that 8Dio refused her offer for paid work and the others with vendettas and bias, including the site owner (who posted that he's on "team Sarah"), the smear campaign reeks of bad ethics and there's enough that's clearly not right to see that  it's not an honest critique of 8Dio. So, while I'm pretty critical of 8Dio and SoundPaint libraries, I've never once found them engaging in unethical practices in the ten or so years I've been an 8Dio customer. Every time I've had an issue with 8Dio or SoundPaint libraries, they've resolved things with me in a fair and ethical manner.  In fact, the only time I've ever returned a sample library was a SoundPaint guitar sample library and I told them why I didn't like it and they promptly gave me a refund. Relationships with contractors, including influencers, are negotiated individually. The attack thread claims that 8Dio doesn't pay contractors very well. I really don't know if that's true or the the poster is just bringing everyone with a grudge to bash a developer that they're not working with. But I don't find their attack thread ethical. There are numerous misrepresentations in it and bias. The original poster works with an 8Dio competitor, but she didn't disclose that, and ethically, she should have.  So I can't vouch that 8Dio is great to work with -- I really don't know. However, I don't find Mancuso is a trustworthy source and the obvious bias and poor ethics of the attack thread throw up too many red flags to ignore. all I know is that I have been very critical of 8Dio and SoundPaint libraries and have never suffered  repercussions for that. I have never accepted NFRs from 8Dio or SoundPaint, I've always been a paying customer. I definitely wouldn't cite any of their libraries as my favorite of their kind, but they're a legit business in my experience and it's sad that I even need to state that about them, but the attack on them at VI Control is so over the top and all-encompassing with the owner of VI Control signed on, that I think customers should share their honest experience instead of being silent when there is this kind of attack. 

EDIT: Update. Since posting this a very respected developer friend told me that he knows contractors who've worked for 8Dio and has never heard them bashed by any of them. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

10 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Being a wind player I wonder what's the difference between staccato and staccatissimo?  I've never heard of that articulation in my private studies.  Maybe the teachers were holding that one away unless I went into doctorate studies.

I didn't know this, but I googled it! 

"staccatissimo A style of playing notes in a detached, separated, distinct manner that shortens the notated duration of the note in a more exaggerated way than normal staccato. Staccatissimo is indicated by solid wedge directly above or below the notehead." 

Edited by PavlovsCat

11 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Being a wind player I wonder what's the difference between staccato and staccatissimo?  I've never heard of that articulation in my private studies.  Maybe the teachers were holding that one away unless I went into doctorate studies.

Probably just the length (one is shorter)?

IMO those terms don't really necessary in live performances, because players will play the dot sign in context. But I imagine with samples (recorded earlier) there's need to have different set of samples.

Update: I didn't google that.

Edited by swijaya

5 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I didn't know this, but I googled it! 

"staccatissimo A style of playing notes in a detached, separated, distinct manner that shortens the notated duration of the note in a more exaggerated way than normal staccato. Staccatissimo is indicated by solid wedge directly above or below the notehead." 

A sample developer had to make up that term to market a library.   Or the Harvard Dictionary of Music had to create it to sell updated versions.  Oh and google makes it so.   

I bet if I took one of those libraries and made something you would never know the difference.  

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

A sample developer had to make up that term to market a library.   Or the Harvard Dictionary of Music had to create it to sell updated versions.  Oh and google makes it so.   

I bet if I took one of those libraries and made something you would never know the difference.  

You say portato, I say portatoe. For some reason, I saw the word portato on my Google search and felt compelled to make that joke. 

I'll show myself out... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

You say portato, I say portatoe. For some reason, I saw the word portato on my Google search and felt compelled to make that joke. 

I'll show myself out... 

I never heard of portato either.   I had a teacher who use to play in the CSO and never used that.   I also had a teacher years before who was a professional jazz guy and never used that word.

Every time I hear that word portato I keep thinking of that same thing.