TTS layers

rfssongs

Not sure I understand the question. TTS-1 is already multitimbral and we can already layer its sounds.

Are you saying that for instance you would like to be able to set the MIDI channel of each TTS-1 voice to any channel we want so that we could send it notes on MIDI channel 1 and play both piano and organ (or whatever) at the same time?

That's probably too easily done by just duplicating the MIDI tracks and setting them to different channels. Therefore not much incentive.

If I'm not getting what you want to do, please fill me in.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Not sure I understand the question. TTS-1 is already multitimbral and we can already layer its sounds.

Are you saying that for instance you would like to be able to set the MIDI channel of each TTS-1 voice to any channel we want so that we could send it notes on MIDI channel 1 and play both piano and organ (or whatever) at the same time?

That's probably too easily done by just duplicating the MIDI tracks and setting them to different channels. Therefore not much incentive.

If I'm not getting what you want to do, please fill me in.

Yes, this is the way to do it.

If you copy the clips as linked clips, it would also mean any edits would stay in sync across all copies.

Unfortunately you can't change the input MIDI channels on TTS1, and we can't change it to allow this either either - it's a discontinued Roland product, and we don't have the source code.

Don't want to have to copy tracks it's messy and makes for more awkward editing. Just one or more extra tracks to deal with. Too bad it can't be changed in TTS (Wondered if that was the case).

This brings us back to the MIDI routing request - that would be better anyway.

You could use articulation maps to automatically duplicate the notes on other channels.

Here I've got TTS1 with Piano on ch1, Fantasia on ch2, and Strings on ch3.

The following articulation map will duplicate any notes on channels 2 + 3:
image.thumb.png.0c55990251e6aa743f28b0025ef180ea.png

This results in the notes being played on all three MIDI channels.

What it won't do is duplicate CC or Pitch Bend messages though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK tried it, just to add a couple of notes:

Another couple of articulation lines added will duplicate CC64 which is what I want. Then I can have a  "Controller Track" for setting up the instruments, reverb & chorus that will sound while recording, if input echo is enabled. (Since the articulation only seems to work on playback) It's all about hearing while recording to get the feel I want. But now the edit & display is one track only.

I just have to remember to disable input echo before I record the next track.

The "Controller Track(s)" can be moved to an out of the way folder to keep the track view neat & clear.

Looks like it will work well. (And not just for TTS)

Thanks again.

Edited by rfssongs