Micpedia website launched

satya

it's terrible - let's try the most famous mics of all time:

a search for C12 just comes with some random modern clones
search for U47 comes up with the modern TF clone
a search for U47 Fet points to the OPR clone
a search for U67 comes up blank

try a more modern classic - Royer r121 - no result :D - you need to search for R-121 - not Royer or R121

the links themselves are just the manufacturers blurb (EXACT reproduction of a V14 etc :D

It's just a weak excuse to try to sell you some product

much better is:

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, simon said:

it's terrible - let's try the most famous mics of all time:

a search for C12 just comes with some random modern clones
search for U47 comes up with the modern TF clone
a search for U47 Fet points to the OPR clone
a search for U67 comes up blank

try a more modern classic - Royer r121 - no result :D - you need to search for R-121 - not Royer or R121

the links themselves are just the manufacturers blurb (EXACT reproduction of a V14 etc :D

It's just a weak excuse to try to sell you some product

much better is:

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones

The mics are there; the problem is the actual search engine. For example, you need to search for C 12, U 47 Fet, U 67, etc. The entries themselves, for at least for the ones I looked at, were not just  manufacturers blurbs. 

It does look like the recordinghacks site does have way more information though, including frequency response and links to the manufactures' websites. The site itself is butt ugly but that is just my opinion.

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

The mics are there; the problem is the actual search engine. For example, you need to search for C 12, U 47 Fet, U 67, etc. The entries themselves, for at least for the ones I looked at, were not just  manufacturers blurbs. 

It does look like the recordinghacks site does have way more information though, including frequency response and links to the manufactures' websites. The site itself is butt ugly but that is just my opinion.

You're right, the search engine isn't really working effectively.

Taking "U 67" as an example - it leads to a page with some information (not as comprehensive as recordinghacks) - then asks you to click for "Micpedia’s article on the U 67".    This gives you a 404-error - although the URL it sends you to is a link to the U67 reissue, which isn't actually the same mic.

I do agree that recordinghacks looks a bit "web 1.0" but that new (?) site puts all the text in a small scrolling window, so that it may look prettier but isn't nearly as user-friendly 

(rant over !)

• Like 1