Sonnox - Oxford Inflator $39

Frank

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/2-Effects/9-Limiter/492-Oxford-Inflator

Breathe life into your sound

A unique and powerful plugin to increase loudness, without sacrificing sonic quality or dynamic range. Add power and presence to your mix without the pumping of compression, or use on individual channels to bring them forward and add weight. Perfect to help vocals cut through the mix.

When driven harder, Inflator delivers tube-like musical warmth and provides the ‘sonic glue’ you need to gel your mix together!

Features

Fully 64-bit compliant

Adds presence and tube-like warmth

Increases perceived loudness of any material

Provides virtual headroom above digital maximum

Direct and band-split modes

System Requirements

macOS

OS X 10.8 or later - M1 compatible using Rosetta 2.

Formats: AAX, AAX-DSP, AU, VST2 & VST3.

Supported hosts: Pro Tools 10.3.8 – 12 (AAX Native & AAX DSP), Pro Tools 7 – 10 (TDM & RTAS), Logic Pro X 10.2, Logic 8 & 9, Digital Performer, Nuendo, Cubase, Ableton Live, Studio One

iLok 2, iLok 3 USB key OR an iLok account with an active internet connection.

Windows

Windows 7 or later.

Formats: AAX, AAX-DSP, VST2 & VST3.

Pro Tools 10.3.8 – 12 (AAX Native & AAX DSP), Pro Tools 7 – 10 (TDM & RTAS), Nuendo, Cubase, Ableton Live, Samplitude, Sequoia, Pyramix, Studio One.

iLok 2, iLok 3 USB key OR an iLok account with an active internet connection.

Please note: This product supports iLok Cloud Authorisation. An iLok USB Dongle OR an active internet connection is required in order to activate and use this product.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I wish they allowed at least the machine-based version of ilock on this. Alas…

I thought they did, but you might be right. Will have to check. I know they offer cloud, so it's definitely not dongle only.

Edited by MusicMan

47 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I thought they did, but you might be right. Will have to check. I know they offer cloud, so it's definitely not dongle only.

Yeah, unless they’ve changed it recently, definitely no machine-based licensing. I’ve got the plug-in ….and like it. Nevertheless, it does irritate me that I need either a dongle or to be online to use it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Yeah, unless they’ve changed it recently, definitely no machine-based licensing. I’ve got the plug-in ….and like it. Nevertheless, it does irritate me that I need either a dongle or to be online to use it.

Yep, just checked iLok Cloud or dongle only. Better than some, like Slate that only offer dongle for perpetual, but still not as good as it could be. I like to see developers offer the 3 options standard with all plugins. 

1 hour ago, Niky Serrano said:

I suppose that you are comparing it with the free MWaveShaper, isn't it?

Pretty sure that was the one from memory, although in typical Melda fashion there's a few closely related ones! 🤣

I gave it a shot quite a while ago. I do like it too and I did grab a preset that was supposed to match Inflator, but the preset is only trying to match one static setting.

When you start tweaking Inflator to taste, it still sounds better than that preset and is easier to dial in for me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Pretty sure that was the one from memory, although in typical Melda fashion there's a few closely related ones! 🤣

I gave it a shot quite a while ago. I do like it too and I did grab a preset that was supposed to match Inflator, but the preset is only trying to match one static setting.

When you start tweaking Inflator to taste, it still sounds better than that preset and is easier to dial in for me.

When you talk about the preset that was supposed to match infrator, I don't know if you are talking about this:
https://redpillzaudio.com/?product=sonnox-inflator-preset-for-mwaveshaper

I am curious about Oxford Inflator vs MWaveShaper, because the first one is great but is not free, and the second one, a little more odd to use, but free, and with the presets of the link I share, I think that could be a good alternative.

3 hours ago, Niky Serrano said:

When you talk about the preset that was supposed to match infrator, I don't know if you are talking about this:
https://redpillzaudio.com/?product=sonnox-inflator-preset-for-mwaveshaper

I am curious about Oxford Inflator vs MWaveShaper, because the first one is great but is not free, and the second one, a little more odd to use, but free, and with the presets of the link I share, I think that could be a good alternative.

I think was the one. I know I grabbed it via Youtube and that video looks similar, although there are heaps more since I last looked before buying Inflator.

If you don't have Inflator already, then definitely jump on MWaveShaper. I would say its a good free option. Every time I try itthough, I always end up going with Inflator. Normally I try it when everyone says Inflator is just a wave shaper and the Melda one does the same! Haha.. 

But the curves, band split option for multiband and just how quick it is to get a better sound makes me glad I purchased Inflator and will always likely use it over the Melda one personally.

If you have Native Instruments Reaktor, check out the free Reaktor ensemble I just shared too :) 

Edited by MusicMan
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LAGinz said:

Oddly enough, there’s a hardly ever mentioned IK plug-in contained in Mixbox and earlier versions of Sampletank called “Tone Control”, which has some of the the same characteristics as Inflator.

I own Mixbox and have glossed over that one and barely used Tone Control.

The IK website doesn't go into much detail, although you can target specific EQ bands with it.

"A classic tube tone control that recreates the tone shaping stage found on the best tube amplifiers. The Tone Control effect can deliver incredible presence and warmth to the sound."

It seems very heavy handed, so another one of those plugins where a little goes a long way. I'll have to check this one out a little more too.