Force MIDI notes to a key?

HOOK

Does Cakewalk have a feature whereby you can force any errant notes to "quantize" to the nearest note in a particular scale?  Not in real time, but after a performance - basically like quantizing , but for snapping to the a set key - say A#.

I was reading that this is called "Scale Quantize" in Logic.  And I swear I was able to do it, many moons ago, in long-gone versions of Cakewalk or Sonar.

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

The MIDI Transpose MFX will do that both in real time, and offline ( using right click on Clip -> Process Effect -> MIDI Effects -> Transpose ).

To use it real time, just drag it into your MIDI FX bin.

I believe that he was asking if there is a way to to force only an off-key note into the correct key.

The transpose function will transpose all selected notes relative to each other by the same amount. So an off-key note will remain off-key in a new key. Unless you just selected that specific note and transposed it to the correct key. I think it would be much easier to just move that note via the MIDI editor to the correct key.

Edited by abacab

12 minutes ago, abacab said:

The transpose function will transpose all selected notes relative to each other by the same amount.

Mark is referring to the Transpose MFX, not Process > Transpose; the MFX can fit notes to a scale as the OP requested.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Mark.  I'm hearing it now on playback - which doesn't actually move the midi note.  It just plays the correct note to scale.  I think that's what was throwing me off.  If I apply the affect, I'm seeing the note move graphically as well.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1