You Know

Keith Wilby

With apologies in advance, this is the second "downer" in a row that I've posted. Well, life can't always be about happy toe-tappers I guess.

This one explores the delicate topic of  the hospice, an institution I hope I never end up in 😬

I'm not so sure about the use of the word "baby" in the chorus. It's a bit cheap and throwaway for the weight of the subject matter. Any suggestions on that one would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Keith Wilby
Updated backing vox. Hosted on Soundcloud, I can't figure out how to apply a fade out on Bandlab Unlimited.
  • Like 1

Well written and recorded, and the mix sounds excellent - with the structure you have, not quite sure what else you could use for the word Baby - it seems very intrinsic to the track!

Those drums sound very good - what did you use?

Totally a personal point of view, but i do think it is a bit long - if it were me I would reduce or remove the bridge at 2.42 for instance, but as I said a purely personal observation.

Cheers

Nigel

• Thanks 1

great job on what i was able to listen to....i've had too many experiences with family members in hospices or "retirement homes" so i really couldn't take listening to much more than the first minute but imho you've nailed the feeling of them 🎶🎶🎶🎶 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Larry T. said:

i really couldn't take listening to much more than the first minute 

Many thanks Larry. This is a sensitive subject I know, but if it made you feel that way, firstly I'm sorry, but then I must have set some sort of mood so, in that respect, mission accomplished.

19 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Those drums sound very good - what did you use?

Totally a personal point of view, but i do think it is a bit long - if it were me I would reduce or remove the bridge at 2.42 for instance, but as I said a purely personal observation.

Thank you Nigel. The drums are Addictive Drums 2 with each channel separated out "post fader" and with plenty of "room" ambience. There are some "extra" snare and tom sounds too sampled from my trusty 90s vintage Yamaha PSR-SQ16.

Yes it is long but I like that solo (believe it or not, there used to be another chorus after it and before the final verse, so I sacrificed that) but what I intend to do is a fade out from about 4:20 to 4:50, thus trimming off another 20 seconds.

This is indeed a difficult subject but I think your lyrics and music have done a good job in presenting it.  Love the bass line and you have done a good job on the lead and background vocals.  Well done!!!

As far as the length ---   I have been exploring South American style Afrobeat music and compared to that this is just a snippet,

• Thanks 1