Looking for a way to alternate one mic between 3 preamps

jesse g

Hey forum mates,

I previously had two mic pres and was given another by a friend  who totally gave up  on home recording.  All three are sitting in a rack wired to a patch bay, but I need an easy way of switching one mic between all three mic pres easily and compressors when a vocalist comes to my studio to sing, so I  give them the best Vox signal possible.

I can patch the different mic pres to the two different compressors I have  via the patch bay with no problem.  My problem is getting the mic I choose  plugged into the chain quickly, and NO,  I don't have an XLR patch bay.  

I saw the Radial Cherry Picker which would be exactly the item to use,  but the price is,( cough, cough), ridiculous.  Are there any other cheaper alternatives that you know of?  

Radial Cherry Picker $439.99

Hosa makes a low cost 12 channel XLR patchbay.  I think you get a used  or maybe even new one for around  $50.00 . I think I bought one used for around 30.00 a few years ago. The tricky part might be remembering to switch off phantom power before switching things around ( if you're using Phantom ). I used it in a rack just so avoid the headache of tunneling behind my mixer.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RBH said:

Hosa makes a low cost 12 channel XLR patchbay.  I think you get a used  or maybe even new one for around  $50.00 . I think I bought one used for around 30.00 a few years ago. The tricky part might be remembering to switch off phantom power before switching things around ( if you're using Phantom ). I used it in a rack just so avoid the headache of tunneling behind my mixer.

RBH,

I found three possible solutions:

1. Radial HotShot DM-1 Dynamic Microphone Output Selector / Mute Switch

2. Hosa Technology MXL-369 Patch Module - 3 Point Straight Through Patchbay with Balanced XLR Connectors

3. Radial HotShot 48V Condenser Microphone Switcher
A/B Microphone Signal Router for Condenser and Dynamic Microphones, with Relay-based Silent Switching

2 hours ago, RBH said:

There is a Hosa 3 channel one I found in the post above this one.

Thanks