Shortcuts unbinding randomly

13 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Ok, my aim is always to try to write forum posts that have constructive content and that are useful and interesting for the topic at hand, but...

image.png.9beac55ddc9ab3957d91d140bf01c9c4.png

It is indeed confusing, when I don't think it needs to be.

Another thing that muddies the waters is that in the Keyboard Shortcuts pref pane, there are several commands listed under Global that are specific to Track View, like ones for manipulating clips. Clips don't happen anywhere but Track View, so how is that a Global command?

I'm sure some of that is down to the pre-Skylight thing where the division between main window and Track View was blurrier. There are also Global commands that show and hide Track View things like the Arranger Track.

I'd always thought that the grouping of commands by view was just to make them easier to find in the list, I had no idea that it meant that the same key combos could do different things depending on which view. I have a shortcut that shows Track Manager, and I never could figure out why it didn't work for the Track Manager in Console.

• Great Idea 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Expected behavior, to me, is that if the dock has focus, and the view's tab is in the front, then that view has focus, and should accept keystrokes.

Not an unreasonable expectation, and works for other views as you pointed out. I was just pointing out that the issue in your example was due to a focus problem, not an issue with key bindings per se.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

It is indeed confusing, when I don't think it needs to be.

I'd always thought that the grouping of commands by view was just to make them easier to find in the list, I had no idea that it meant that the same key combos could do different things depending on which view. I have a shortcut that shows Track Manager, and I never could figure out why it didn't work for the Track Manager in Console.

Very well put!

I thought about that as well – using the same shortcuts for different actions in different views – and how that could be really nice in some scenarios.

For some time I've been using NUMPAD + and - for zoom in/out in Track View, which btw has been a great workflow enhancer for me. And then I thought it would be cool to use the same combo for zoom in/out in PRV as well... but maybe it's a bad example, since it has been very convenient to be able to zoom in/out in Track View even when working and having focus in PRV. :)