Shortcut key not working - Resize and zoom tracks to see entire project

Rickstudio2021

I just tried Shift+Z and that worked here.(I have already bound Shift+F to another function)

Sometimes when I have found keybindings that don't work, I have to resort to a technical solution that if I make a mistake, it could ruin my entire keybinding setup.

I think this issue is caused by double-ups in the internal keybinding database.

When a keybinding doesn't work, I first bind the offending keybinding to a CAL script (one with an easy name to remember)

Then I export my bindings to two KBN files (so you have a unaltered copy for Justin) - these are normal text file.  I then open one of the KBN file with a normal text editor and look for the instance of some of the text in the CAL Script name I used.

There will be a number starting with Kx bound to the CAL script.......  search for other instances of that same KX number.  If they exist, then those are probably the duplicates causing the issue.  Delete these lines so that the only one left is the one bound to the CAL script.  

Then reimport the KBN file that you just edited into CbB.  Leave the unedited KBN file in case you need it later.

Then do your originally intended key binding  (SHIFT+F to “Resize and zoom.....”)

There have been many times this has worked for me when I create a Key-binding that has not worked.

If your keybinding are borked after doing this you can always import the second, unaltered, KBN file to CbB.

Note: I offer the same level of warning here that I would offer when editing the registry - only do the above if you know exactly what you are doing.

2 hours ago, Promidi said:

I first bind the offending keybinding to a CAL script (one with an easy name to remember)
Then I export my bindings to two KBN files (so you have a unaltered copy for Justin) - these are normal text file.  I then open one of the KBN file with a normal text editor and look for the instance of some of the text in the CAL Script name I used.
There will be a number starting with Kx bound to the CAL script.......  search for other instances of that same KX number.  If they exist, then those are probably the duplicates causing the issue.  Delete these lines so that the only one left is the one bound to the CAL script.  
Then reimport the KBN file that you just edited into CbB.  Leave the unedited KBN file in case you need it later.
Then do your originally intended key binding

Neat.

My chances of pulling that off, hmm....I'd probably find it easier to just exclude C:\Program Files\Cakewalk from my backups, then wait for my C: drive to fail, thereby affording me a clean start and, with luck, the ability to restore my key binding.

On 2/7/2022 at 7:51 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Neat.

My chances of pulling that off, hmm....I'd probably find it easier to just exclude C:\Program Files\Cakewalk from my backups, then wait for my 😄 drive to fail, thereby affording me a clean start and, with luck, the ability to restore my key binding.

I have way too many custom keybindings to restore mine from scratch.

3 hours ago, Promidi said:

I have way too many custom keybindings to restore mine from scratch.

I don't use too many short-cut keys/key combos (just a number of the basic global defaults) and almost never use custom key bindings.  But I might someday.  I do remember testing key bindings when I was exploring how Workspaces function and how I >>might<< take advantage of them.  I seem to recall that custom key bindings do get stored (and then restored)  if that option is selected under Workspace Management.

So, I am wondering (1) if my recollection is accurate wrt custom key bindings and Workspaces, (2) if a special Workspace could be used to safely store a dated backup of key bindings, and (3) if possible, are there any drawbacks to doing that?  Thanks for any insights into this. 

NEW: By the way, I just tested assigning Global Shift+F from the default (resize and spread out tracks). I bound it it to File | New.  After I rebooted Cakewalk, the new assignment held.  Then I unbound that assignment and it successfully reverted to  the default (without having to reboot Cakewalk. )  Not sure this helps, but as long as I tested it, I thought I'd mention it.

WAIT A SEC:  Then testing the Shift+F Re-assignment and saving that in a Workspace, Cakewalk reverted to the default Shift+F behavior, not the reassignment which had just worked.  I will double check after dinner.

UPDATE: I suspect in the previous reassignment test (immediately above) I did something wrong or out of proper sequence.  So I redid the Workspace I used and the reassignment has worked consistently.  This does not rule out the possibility that there is an inconsistent issue with reassignments.

Just wanted to add that in the last round of reassignment tests, I flipped back and forth between some of my custom Workspaces and some of the factory Workspaces.  That confirmed that if a Workspace previously saved key bindings (and therefore restores them), if you use Workspaces, that might account for why a custom binding might disappear.

NOTE: I did not do any tests to see what affect the "Apply Workspace on Project Load" option has. 

Edited by User 905133
(3) to add the results of additional re-assignment tests; (2) to add an observation about re-assigning Shift+F; (1) to add a quote that (in part) prompted my post

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

So, I am wondering (1) if my recollection is accurate wrt custom key bindings and Workspaces, (2) if a special Workspace could be used to safely store a dated backup of key bindings, and (3) if possible, are there any drawbacks to doing that?  Thanks for any insights into this. 

NEW: By the way, I just tested assigning Global Shift+F from the default (resize and spread out tracks). I bound it it to File | New.  After I rebooted Cakewalk, the new assignment held.  Then I unbound that assignment and it successfully reverted to  the default (without having to reboot Cakewalk. )  Not sure this helps, but as long as I tested it, I thought I'd mention it.

WAIT A SEC:  Then testing the Shift+F Re-assignment and saving that in a Workspace, Cakewalk reverted to the default Shift+F behavior, not the reassignment which had just worked.  I will double check after dinner.

Personally I treat keybindings as global - regardless of loaded workspace.  

Any custom workspace I use, I disable its ability the save or retrieve Keybindings from those workspaces.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Personally I treat keybindings as global - regardless of loaded workspace.  

Any custom workspace I use, I disable its ability the save or retrieve Keybindings from those workspaces.

Excellent modus operandi to avoid potential confusion and to maintain workflow consistency.  Except for a few tests, I use that advice.  However, for tonight's test I made sure to put in some Workspace comments in the description as a reminder that the new tweak is an exception--"Shift+F changed to New | File" and "Keyboard Shortcuts Saved."  Without that I'd probably forget and have some WTF moments.

Edited by User 905133