Orchestral MIDI Study Paks from Forte Composer 40% off

fret_man

https://store.fortecomposeracademy.com/ 40% off throughout January.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

This looks very interesting to me to help me learn more details of orchestral composing/ arranging / instrumentation. They include both MIDI and Cubase CPR project files. I use Studio One and, although maybe not necessary, I would like to look at the project files. Studio One can only read XML files from Cubase so I may have to load up the 30 day free unrestricted trial version of Cubase to convert the files (I'll use my spare/scrap laptop for this), unless someone here knows of an alternative method to do the conversion.

I have these (and added the new ones) but Cubase/Nuendo export of MusicXML is at best poor.  It is driven through the Score Editor and to be honest I don't think it offers any of the details the Cubase project have.  What you get from the Cubase project is some organization (folders) as well as all the EQ settings (he uses the built in Cubase EQ, kind of like Pro Channel) and the constant use of EastWest Spaces 1 (which is no longer available for sale).  And settings for the instrument patches themselves (assuming you own the instruments he's using, lots of issues with that depending on what the instrument is hosted in).  None of that really comes out in a MusicXML export.

I tried exporting one of the projects as MusicXML (which did work) but Studio One doesn't seem to have an import for it?  Are you using Notation for that?  Looking at the MusicXML file Cubase made, it's really just the score.  No instrument setups, no EQ, no effects plugins, tracks, etc.  And I couldnt' even get anything reasonable importing it into MuseScore.  Looked like garbage.

I think these projects are very educational (you can't use them for anything else) and even the plain MIDI export is very useful.  But I don't think I'd put much faith in being able to export from Cubase (with a trial version or the real thing) and import them into any other DAW.  The MIDI files are very importable.  But none of the Cubase project "extras" seem to come out in a MusicXML export.

• Like 1

I heard back from Ben and he said he couldn't get Cubase to include any automation in the XML export. He'll keep fooling with it, though. But I don't have much hope it will come to much. The MIDI export includes the various CC controls. That may be enough, I think.