the horror of going back to Windows from a Mac mini

Marc Harris

On 12/5/2021 at 2:10 AM, bdickens said:

Somebody at Google must have forgotten to tell RME....

Even with RME, you can't aggregate ASIO at a system level. RME, PreSonus, MOTU, Lynx, Roland, and possibly some others (Echo?) have solutions for using multiple ASIO devices, but they have to be from the same company, and almost always, use the same port technology. You can't, for example, use ASIO to aggregate a PreSonus Thunderbolt interface with an RME USB interface. The way it works is that their proprietary ASIO drivers don't treat the aggregated interfaces individually, but as a single, big interface.

The only way to aggregate ASIO devices from different manufacturers that I've found is to use ASIO Link.

ASIOLink works in a similar way to ASIO4ALL, but instead of only using WDM, it also allows passthru to an ASIO device. It also remembers your configuration.

You set up ASIOLink to connect to your devices, then use the ASIOLInk ASIO driver within Cakewalk instead of your regular ASIO driver.

You can do it in two ways:
1. Run a single instance of ASIOLink using ASIO for your main driver, and WDM for the others.
2. Run several instances of ASIOLink using ASIO on each device, connected together via the network using your local network address (127.0.0.1).

Once it's set up it works really well, but it's a total PITA to configure in the first place.  Even with decades of experience in audio / network experience it took me ages to get my head around it... and no, I don't remember how I did it, so don't ask me 😜 !  

In the end it was too much hassle for me, so I just bought an RME Digiface USB instead.  

Feel free to check it out tho:   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

7 hours ago, msmcleod said:

In the end it was too much hassle for me, so I just bought an RME Digiface USB instead. 

All roads lead to...

In any case, most people who want multi-asio don't realize that: (a) something has to sync interfaces, on hardware level (b) most restrictions for ASIO come not from technical difficulties, but from its license...

• Like 1