RAM Utilization in Windows 10, current release

Ray Nichols

Anyone know if it is possible to get Sonar Platinum by BandLab to run most of the current session in RAM instead of caching on the hard drive.  I am working to minimize audio dropouts. Is this even the right question, I wonder?

RAM: 32 GB

Processor: Quad core @ 3.5GHz

Hard drive: RAID 0 

This computer is dedicated for Cakewalk Sonar Platinum by BandLab. Nothing else besides Windows and its essential drivers and the motherboard's basic utilities have been installed on this machine. Windows has been set for performance and trimmed for reduced number of perks and background processes. All the bells and whistles the Microsoft Edge browser offers have been disabled. No email app either.

Best Regards,

Ray N

1 hour ago, Ray Nichols said:

Anyone know if it is possible to get Sonar Platinum by BandLab to run most of the current session in RAM instead of caching on the hard drive.  I am working to minimize audio dropouts. Is this even the right question, I wonder?

This computer is dedicated for Cakewalk Sonar Platinum by BandLab. Nothing else besides Windows and its essential drivers and the motherboard's basic utilities have been installed on this machine. Windows has been set for performance and trimmed for reduced number of perks and background processes. All the bells and whistles the Microsoft Edge browser offers have been disabled. No email app either.

Best Regards,

Ray N

I do not understand. Do you use Sonar Platinium or Cakewalk by Bandlab? They are two different things. Please clarify so we can help you.

If your main concern is the audio dropout problem, then you should let us know what sound card you use? what driver mode? How do you set audio buffer size of your soundcard? Do you use secondary drive  for your project (audio) folder? Do you use HDD or SSD?

Even in ASIO or Wasapi mode driver, it is highly recommended to use SSD drive as your OS drive, and secondary  (phisycal) drive as your project (audio) drive to minimize audio dropout.

8 hours ago, Ray Nichols said:

Best Regards,

Ray N

32 GB is plenty for most purposes. If you have an issue its unlikely to be RAM. If you are using the latest Cakewalk it will list a code if there is a dropout. That can be used to diagnose the cause.

Thank you for responding. Here are  answers to your questions.

Current DAW:
Cakewalk by Bandlab
I was using Sonar Platinum. Now I am using CbB. 

Sound Card: 
Realtek High Definition
Audo driver version: 6.0.1.8010
DirectX version: 12.0
Audio codec: ALC892
Audio buffer size on sound card not selectable.
Audio driver bit depth: 24-bit
Selected sample rate: 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz (probably should settle on 48kHz).

Cakewalk by BandLab:
Audio Profiles/Buffer sizes auto-selected by Wave Profiler.  All other settings also at default.
Currently using WASAPI Shared mode. Dropouts occur also in ASIO mode. Thus the reason for moving to WASAPI. Dropouts appear to be not related to WASAPI or ASIO.

Hard Drive:
Currently using two Raptor 10,000 RPM hard drives in RAID 0 configuration, 64 kB stripes.
I will reinstall the DAW to the SSD today.  Also, I will move the project folder to the data dive.

I will watch for code numbers when dropouts occur.

About the RAM. I thought it was doing well. However, I will look more thoroughly into this, such as clock speed, DRAM timing, plus load-line diagnostics, etc.  Will check dropout codes first.

COMMENT: The DAW was running on Windows 7, 64-Bit.  Last week I split the OS hard drive and installed the works on Windows 10, 64-Bit in a dual boot  configuration. I will now reinstall CbB on the SSD exclusively.

Thanks again and best regards,

Ray N