Evolution Brass & Wood

cclarry

I write that because I'm the one who came up with the name. I contacted the guy right after he made a post on KVR, the month he registered the domain name. He said he had the idea long before he took it to market so he wasn't going to change it. Legally, he's completely in the wrong and it's a clear example of trademark infringement. Evolution is even registered by OTS in the US and UK. 

He's fortunate that OTS isn't litigious and that he hasn't been sued, because I think that would be the right thing -- I've talked to the guy and he doesn't care. It's a slam dunk. My expertise is marketing, specifically digital, which I've led for a few major brands before starting my own business, and which after 15 years in business, just had a very similar situation where another business popped up using a name extremely similar to ours and refuses to change it. It confuses people and dilutes the investment you make into building your business reputation. 

I'm familiar with intellectual property laws well enough from marketing that Interpol actually quotes me in their documentation. You'd think they'd quote an intellectual property lawyer. But yeah, every time I see this guy's stuff, I suppose I get a bit triggered because I've communicated with the guy the month he registered his domain, a year after Orange Tree Samples was on the market and the guy didn't even introduce his sample libraries -- I even offered to help him brainstorm another name at no cost, but he refused to change his name, insisting that because he had the idea in his head before OTS launched he could legally use it (SPOILER: That's not how the laws work in any country). 

I think the average sample library customer has no idea how sleazy some of the developers in the market are in their business dealings. It's still pretty easy for an independent developer to quickly build an income and I can tell you that there are some out there that have some pretty horrible ethics and stuff that would probably trouble people beyond intellectual property infringement which probably seems like no big deal to non business people. 

Edited by PavlovsCat