Samplab FREE!

cclarry

11 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Maybe I am misinterpreting what I am seeing. Isn't that what meoldyne does? Change the pitch of the audio, as well as other aspects of audio and then converts to midi. From what I am seeing this is that but at an earlier stage of development. I could be wrong.

That is backwards to what I am describing. You insert the plugin as an instrument. You then drop the audio onto the plugin. SampLab send the audio to the server and the server send back the audio segmented into "notes" as well as the MIDI. You then take the MIDI and drop it onto the Samplab track. You can then change the pitch of each note in the original audio by simply modifying the track MIDI (outside of the plugin).  That is the part I was saying was a bit more convenient. To do that with Melodyne, you have to back into Melodyne.

15 hours ago, paulo said:

More convenient than right there on a track within the project ? 

You are right there on a track in the project. You modify the MIDI on the track, not within the plugin.

@pauloNot sure where the confusion is. What is it I said that is unclear?

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

That is backwards to what I am describing. You insert the plugin as an instrument. You then drop the audio onto the plugin. SampLab send the audio to the server and the server send back the audio segmented into "notes" as well as the MIDI. You then take the MIDI and drop it onto the Samplab track. You can then change the pitch of each note in the original audio by simply modifying the track MIDI (outside of the plugin).  That is the part I was saying was a bit more convenient. To do that with Melodyne, you have to back into Melodyne.

I see what you are saying. I personally did not find it as convenient but maybe it is familiarity.

3 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I see what you are saying. I personally did not find it as convenient but maybe it is familiarity.

It is not as convenient to set it up I guess. Once it is set up, I think it is easier to manipulate the MIDI to change the pitch than to do it in Melodyne. But I am not sure how much I would actually use this feature.

Maybe this description from the website will clear up the confusion...

How does the Samplab Plugin work?

When you drag and drop an audio file into the plugin, it is sent to our server for processing. Once this is completed, you receive the result with all the notes in the audio separated. In order to edit the notes, we generate a MIDI file that you can drag into the Samplab track. From now on, the plugin acts like a virtual instrument: It gets the MIDI events as input from your DAW and plays the (edited) notes. If you don't make any changes to the MIDI, the result should sound the same as the original audio. Of course, you can also just use the MIDI file for other things.

8 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

When you drag and drop an audio file into the plugin, it is sent to our server for processing. Once this is completed, you receive the result with all the notes in the audio separated. In order to edit the notes, we generate a MIDI file that you can drag into the Samplab track. From now on, the plugin acts like a virtual instrument: It gets the MIDI events as input from your DAW and plays the (edited) notes. If you don't make any changes to the MIDI, the result should sound the same as the original audio. Of course, you can also just use the MIDI file for other things.

Serious question; have you used this? maybe you can show ,me what I am missing.  So far this is nowhere near convenient. The features that are described sound nice, but trying to edit notes on a fixed size  interface that does not show  keys, let alone pitch is anything but convenient. this is what I see when i drag a file into   both. Not only is it less accurate, it's not easy to grab notes and even harder to know what each note is other than perhaps seeing interval. Again, maybe you are using this and have found some hidden features. please share your experience beyond sharing their claims.

convenience.png

10 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I didn't see your edited reply until just now.

The confusion for me is that it's somehow "more convenient."  I don't see it that way.

5 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

Serious question; have you used this? maybe you can show ,me what I am missing.  So far this is nowhere near convenient. The features that are described sound nice, but trying to edit notes on a fixed size  interface that does not show  keys, let alone pitch is anything but convenient. this is what I see when i drag a file into   both. Not only is it less accurate, it's not easy to grab notes and even harder to know what each note is other than perhaps seeing interval. Again, maybe you are using this and have found some hidden features. please share your experience beyond sharing their claims.

Yes, I have used this to test it out. The step you are missing is dragging the MIDI into the Samplab track in your DAW. You are trying to edit the MIDI in the plugin itself. Edit the MIDI in the DAW itself. Again, the MIDI needs to be placed on the same track as the SampLab plugin. In the screenshot below, the MIDI was generated from the audio file. I then dropped the MIDI onto the SampLab track. I then edit the MIDI in the StudioOne MIDI editor window and it changes the pitch of the original audio just like it was a virtual instrument.

SampLab Screenshot.jpg

Edited by Doug Rintoul

15 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I was going by actually using product and nothing at all seemed convenient. The pitches are not markedly

3 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Now I am confused. I was going by using the product as well. What do you mean by "the pitches are not markedly"?

I meant "marked" and probably submitted a weird autocomplete lol. I was referring to notes as they appear in first step rather than once you drag midi out. For some reason I read your earlier reply as suggesting editing the audio directly in plugin. 

3 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

I meant "marked" and probably submitted a weird autocomplete lol. I was referring to notes as they appear in first step rather than once you drag midi out. For some reason I read your earlier reply as suggesting editing the audio directly in plugin. 

Maybe it was not clear, but I thought I had explicitly stated that you edit the MIDI outside the plugin, using the DAW's MIDI editor. This changes the audio output when you play the track in the DAW. For example, if the original audio had a C note and you wanted to change it to an E note, you just drag the MIDI note from a C to an E and it changes the pitch of the audio at that point in the track to an E note. This is the convenience I was referring to.

44 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Maybe it was not clear, but I thought I had explicitly stated that you edit the MIDI outside the plugin, using the DAW's MIDI editor. This changes the audio output when you play the track in the DAW. For example, if the original audio had a C note and you wanted to change it to an E note, you just drag the MIDI note from a C to an E and it changes the pitch of the audio at that point in the track to an E note. This is the convenience I was referring to.

I am sure I misread. In any case, I didn't find this more convenient since to me the ability to edit the original audio  before converting to midi seemed more so.  I will concede that the essential version of melodyne ST1/ Cakewalk combo won't give you polyphonic audio editing in a more convenient manner.