Minimal Spec For Play/Export-Only Cakewalk

Studious

Question

Hi all,

I was a long-time Sonar user and still have a ton of projects on a gigantic old StudioCat tower, with 3 hard drives. I want to downsize to the smallest possible solution, which will be  read-only (playing + bouncing/exporting projects).

• Since I will not be recording at all, would it work if everything was on one compact solution with ONE hard drive? (OS + audio files + samples)
  • Would a mini-pc vs. laptop be best for this?

If anybody has done this, or has any better ideas, I'm open.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

The only difference between a computer that is used for recording and a computer that is used for editing and playback is zero. But you don’t need an audio interface for editing and playback. 
All the rules still apply as far as system set up including multiple drives, lots of RAM  , fast multi core CPU , silent operation, large power supply. Lots of USB port ports and on and on 

16 hours ago, Studious said:

Since I will not be recording at all, would it work if everything was on one compact solution with ONE hard drive?

I don't see why not. Anything you get would be able to handle that, as long as it has 8G of RAM and an SSD. You don't mention having a zillion FX or huge sample libraries.