Amazon Prime Day is next Monday and & Tuesday, June 21 & 22

Reid Rosefelt

1 minute ago, bluzdog said:

I think they absolutely customize offerings with tracking cookies.

I never sign in until I'm actually ready to buy and in theory at least my browser is set to delete all cookies on closing and I quite often close it and reopen just to spite those sites that won't let you even look at anything without accepting their cookies, but yeah, they clearly know something about who is looking. I very rarely buy anything from Amazon anyway, so whatever they do doesn't do them much good in my case.

4 hours ago, paulo said:

It can't be just co-incidence that things that I looked at one day have so often gone up the next day.

it is... camelcamel tracks Amazon prices for everyone. You can sign up to get notifications when prices go below a certain threshold. They're tracking millions of items, imagine if they also had to sync with everybody's cookies to give them personalized prices. Also, when someone shares an Amazon price in a forum like this one, people would see different prices, right? But they don't. Prices just go up and down based, partly, on demand.

I always buy the same type of jeans (even the same color) from Amazon. Under this logic, the price for me should continuously go up since I obviously am very interested in this item, but it doesn't. Same for sneakers, I'm just a simple man. 

One could make an argument to give a potential customer a lower price the second time they browse the same item, to entice them. 

The internet would be full of strategies to defeat this type of algorithm (clear your cookies, browse unsigned, use different browsers, etc.), so I don't think Amazon bothers, really. 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:01 AM, Monomox said:

it is... camelcamel tracks Amazon prices for everyone. You can sign up to get notifications when prices go below a certain threshold. They're tracking millions of items, imagine if they also had to sync with everybody's cookies to give them personalized prices. Also, when someone shares an Amazon price in a forum like this one, people would see different prices, right? But they don't. Prices just go up and down based, partly, on demand.

I always buy the same type of jeans (even the same color) from Amazon. Under this logic, the price for me should continuously go up since I obviously am very interested in this item, but it doesn't. Same for sneakers, I'm just a simple man. 

One could make an argument to give a potential customer a lower price the second time they browse the same item, to entice them. 

The internet would be full of strategies to defeat this type of algorithm (clear your cookies, browse unsigned, use different browsers, etc.), so I don't think Amazon bothers, really. 

It's funny that the prices of things that I have looked at the day before are never less than they were though. If price fluctuations are only driven by general supply/demand that would suggest that I just happen to only ever be looking at things that are in higher demand at that particular time?

You may be right though. I honestly don't use it enough to care all that much. If Bezos depended upon me for his living, he'd have gone bust a long time ago.

• Like 1