Advice on effects for covering the Beatles I Am the Walrus

PavlovsCat

I am soon going to be recording a cover version of I Am the Walrus. I'm not looking to get the exact sound of the original, but I'm looking to get close. I'm going to be using sample libraries and have a Hohner Pianet and a Wurlitzer for the electric piano (there is debate over which was used on the original recording) that I plan on putting through a Leslie speaker. I know Harrison used a Strat with a Vox amp...but what I could really use advice on is effects to use. I don't have strong skills with sound engineering to say the least.

On the electric piano, I know to use a Leslie -- but should I also put some distortion on it? I have read that Lennon used a cheap mic used to communicate with the sound room and they may have used a Leslie on his vocal. I've read some posts where people recommended saturator.  I am going to test out some cheap mics I own that I'd never normally consider for vocals. 

I would really appreciate the advice of those knowledgeable on mixing and effects. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

8 minutes ago, bdickens said:

I prefer to do my own arrangements and put my own sonic stamp on things.

Same here, but for this cover, I'm looking to have some of the same core elements to capture part of the vibe of the original. So, the two elements I want to get close are the sound of the lead vocal and electric piano.

My arrangement of the guitar parts are especially going to be a departure of the original. However, I want to capture some very critical sounds that are so iconic, and frankly, I adore those sounds. Of course, no one can replace Lennon's voice. 

Edited by PavlovsCat