New Surface Pro 7: Cakewalk to M-Audio 61 Keyboard Connect Issue

Raja Bhat

Hi all! I'm pretty dismayed with Cakewalk on my new Surface Pro 7. Under Edit>Preferences, I click on the box next to Keystation 61, and it says there is not enough memory! No such problem with my 5 year old Lenovo laptop! Blessings to anyone who can help me resolve this! I love Cakewalk! 

Hi Raja,

I have never had this issue, but getting deeper into your situation, how much memory do you have in your Surface?  Also, how much memory do you have your Windows Page File set at?  Maybe enlarging the amount on your Page File will help.

Kind regards,

tecknot

15 hours ago, tecknot said:

Hi Raja,

I have never had this issue, but getting deeper into your situation, how much memory do you have in your Surface?  Also, how much memory do you have your Windows Page File set at?  Maybe enlarging the amount on your Page File will help.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Increased the memory, made no difference! Duh. I hate returning things, but I'm seriously thinking of returning the Surface Pro 7 and getting an iPad Pro. Which means I can't use Cakewalk anymore. Double Duh! Hmmm, maybe I'll try a trial version of Ableton Live and see if I can get the Keystation 61 to work on it. 

OK people, I explored trial versions of other DAWs. Ableton Live, FL Studio, and Pro Tools. Somewhere along the way, the programs installed ASIO drivers: Asio4all and FL Studio Asio. Well, guess what, with these drivers in place, no more issue connecting my keyboard to Cakewalk! I even tried out the Strings VST, nice! All this took me about three hours in all I think! :)

Uhhh, I spoke too soon. After I uninstalled the trial versions, now Cakewalk gives me the same error: inadequate memory when I click on Keystation 61 as my keyboard. I give up; after 3 hours of work, I am back to square 1! I think 4 glasses of WINE will solve my problems! :)

Edited by Raja Bhat

1 hour ago, slartabartfast said:

Not enough memory is a common error message when there is actually plenty of memory available. It was often reported in SONAR when people tried to import soundfonts or tagged MP3 files, and removing the tags was the solution--so not a specific error message as to the actual cause of the problem. 

Sorry but how wrong you are; the memory error did not allow me to hook up my keyboard to Cakewalk. But please read below, I found the solution.