Izotope IRIS 93% off

cclarry

This has been given away as a freebie in so many deals this year that I'm surprised anyone would consider buying it for the full price, or any price.

I would also add for anyone considering getting it that if you are running a laptop setup or anything with an i5 processor or below, Iris will be almost unusable.  I've managed to use it in a few mixes, but I have to seriously limit its performance and freeze all other plugins. I don't know if it is particularly power hungry, or whether its just not very well made (which would be strange for IZotope, but, if I had to lose one VST from my setup, this would be the first to go....or can someone convince me otherwise?

Just my 2C

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

anything with an i5 processor or below, Iris will be almost unusable. 

I think that might be a hasty generalization. Probably more dependent on core clock speed, which is lower in older spec and low power laptop CPUs.

I'm running a desktop Intel 9th gen Core i5-9600k at 4.6GHz, and Iris 2 barely moves the CPU meters. 😉

Using Win10 Pro and Focusrite ASIO @ 24/48000 with 256 buffers.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

I think that might be a hasty generalization. Probably more dependent on core clock speed, which is lower in older spec and low power laptop CPUs.

I'm running a desktop Intel 9th gen Core i5-9600k at 4.6GHz, and Iris 2 barely moves the CPU meters. 😉

on my old i7 clunker it does use CPU quite a bit. i find I dont like the interface that much. and there is nothing in it that is not replacable by other product (maybe I just dont know how to use it)

Edited by telecode 101

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

I would love to know what I'm doing wrong then?

Iris2 is THE plugin that stalls my system every time. I don't have this problem with any other plugin and I'm running Kontakt, EastWest Play engine, Spitfire - never a problem with these.  As soon as I stick Iris in the mix....stutters, drops out, stalls.

The only fix I've found is dropping the number of Voices as low as possible....which kind of means I have to inhibit the functionality to make it usable.

30 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I would love to know what I'm doing wrong then?

Iris2 is THE plugin that stalls my system every time. I don't have this problem with any other plugin and I'm running Kontakt, EastWest Play engine, Spitfire - never a problem with these.  As soon as I stick Iris in the mix....stutters, drops out, stalls.

The only fix I've found is dropping the number of Voices as low as possible....which kind of means I have to inhibit the functionality to make it usable.

Yes, iZotope addresses potential performance issues due to the way that Iris handles signal processing in the Reference Manual, in the section "CPU Optimization".

Iris 2 is a powerful, one-of-a-kind tool that pairs high-quality digital signal processing for resampling, modeling, and effects along with remarkably flexible modulation options, resulting in a lot of complex math and data streaming that needs to happen quickly This can tax your computer’s resources substantially, but here are some recommendations for maximizing Iris 2 performance on your machine

As you mentioned, lowering voices (polyphony) is one suggestion that they also make. Freezing tracks, hiding the UI, increasing buffer size, avoiding resource intensive filters, reducing envelope release times are some additional strategies outlined.

But I don't think that this can be compared to other samplers that you listed. Much more is going on here under the hood than sample playback, such as the resampling, time stretching, and pitch shifting.

Both Iris 2 algorithms (Radius RT and the Resampler) perform best within an octave of the original root note The further away from the root note you get, the higher the impact on CPU performance

My old CPU was a 3rd gen Intel i-3 at 3.4GHz that Iris 2 brought to its knees, just as you have described. No problem with other samplers either.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, except perhaps assuming that Iris 2 is just a sample player. It is a synthesizer with heavy processing demands that uses samples as the oscillators.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1