When I replace TT-S MIDI with other plugin it changes all MIDI tracks to that plugin?

tdehan

I have a jazz MIDI piece I composed many years ago on my Yamaha SY77 with 16 MIDI tracks each a different instrument.  I've imported the file into Cakewalk and Cakewalk plays each individual instrument with the TT-S plug in.   I want to change some of the instruments from TT-S to a different instrument plug in.  For example, I want to change the Muted Trumpet on one of the tracks to a better sounding non TT-S instrument plug in .  However, when I select the particular trumpet track and select REPLACE SYNTH, select the new instrument plug in, it changes ALL of the tracks to that plug in.  How do I fix this?

Thanks!

Instead of using replace synth which swaps the current plug-in instance for a new plug-in

• Add the new synth using any method other than the Add Track menu such as
    • Insert > Soft synth from the main menu
    • The + button on the synth rack
    • Dragging the plug-in from the browser
  • Select one of the audio track options from the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog
  • Set the MIDI track output drop down to the new synth

• Great Idea 1

As Steve has said you don't use replace synth on a midi track, only on a VST instrument track. 

Best to first insert your new VST instruments as he has pointed out.

I find the fastest way is open the browser on the right, go to your list of instruments and drag and drop the one you want to the track inspector or pane. 

You might want to go to the "insert soft synth options" first and choose how you want it set up. Myself I mostly only ever check use first synth audio output. No other boxes are checked.  I might use the All Synth Audio on a VST drum kit.