Low level from vocal mic

I know this isn't much to go on, but I'm getting practically no level from my vocal mic. I tested it in another program and the mic works okay, I've checked routing inputs and outputs and they're okay. I'm getting just the faintest signal recorded. It's probably user error but any suggestions of something I might have overlooked? Thank you! 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, charles kasler said:

Thanks...ASIO into a Focusrite Scarlett, the Scarlett mixer shows a level, Cbb meters respond when I tap the mic...i don't know what else to check

Which microphone? Is it USB or does it connect via a XLR?

If it's  a condenser mic, have you switched on phantom power?

Edited by Bristol_Jonesey

What are you hearing in the headphones? 

And what do the meters on the Scarlett show? can you put them in the Red?

And in the Software mixer make sure the Line/Mic swicth didn't get moved. It's one of my big beefs with the Software mixer, You can't look at the interface to check settings. 

Thanks for all yr suggestions, it seems to be OK now - maybe a cable? I went thru some of the steps you all suggested but not sure which one worked. Sometimes I think it's a cbb issue. I've had no sound sometimes from a channel strip & had to disable a plugin that was blocking it for some reason.  The Focusrite troubleshooting steps were good & should apply to other interfaces as well if other people run into this.

Recording levels are 100% set by the audio interface. You could turn the gain and fader right off and the audio will be recorded at the level set by the gain on the interface.

Focusrite adds a layer of confusion by using a software mixer. I found when things were not working then I would reset it to factory defaults and that would fix it.