Voicemeeter, USB Mic, how do I make my recordings sound better

Aidan Thomas

Question

So lately I've been using Voicemeeter, as I have a USB Mic (albeit a condenser one) which obviously you can't turn down the volume on. I just find it makes the recordings sound better. I don't have room for a proper setup in my house so I've had to make do with it.

However, I've recently had to re-install it and it's installed all these new drivers with it. To me they all look the same and no matter which one I pick I can't get sound.

Do you have any idea how to make this work? 

Or can you assist me with ways to make my recordings sound better? Other than just reducing gain for mastering, because I already do that. 

Any help would be appreciated.

voicemeeter drivers.JPG

5 answers to this question

VoiceMeeter is basically an input/output matrix that is separate from but works in conjunction with CbB.

You first want to figure out which VM input picks up the USB mic in its input matrix and then use that port out as a record source for a track input in CbB. Also deactivate any ports that you don't use & don't forget that you can create 'friendly names' for the DAW I/O ports.

It can be challenging at first, but I've used it for teaching classes on CbB for many years and does a reasonable job.

Once you have the configuration working, ALWAYS save it as a preset, both in the matrix & the DAW.

3 hours ago, Aidan Thomas said:

can you assist me with ways to make my recordings sound better? Other than just reducing gain for mastering, because I already do that. 

Any help would be appreciated.

What are you recording? Music, voice over, etc.?

How many tracks?

8 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

VoiceMeeter is basically an input/output matrix that is separate from but works in conjunction with CbB.

You first want to figure out which VM input picks up the USB mic in its input matrix and then use that port out as a record source for a track input in CbB. Also deactivate any ports that you don't use & don't forget that you can create 'friendly names' for the DAW I/O ports.

It can be challenging at first, but I've used it for teaching classes on CbB for many years and does a reasonable job.

Once you have the configuration working, ALWAYS save it as a preset, both in the matrix & the DAW.

So I'd have to just select one at a time and figure out which one picks up sound? There's at least 15-20. Have no idea why there's so many,

How do I create 'friendly names' for the ports? And save it as a preset? Only worked out how to do that for vocal chains thus far.

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

What are you recording? Music, voice over, etc.?

How many tracks?

It depends, mostly music. Sometimes I import just my voice (from Audacity) and mix it in Cakewalk for a podcast, though that's never done using Voicemeeter. Voicemeeter is usually for music.

The amount of tracks depends on how long the verse is, and if there's adlibs, a hook or whatever else I've done. It's never usually bigger than 15.

1 hour ago, Aidan Thomas said:

So I'd have to just select one at a time and figure out which one picks up sound? There's at least 15-20. Have no idea why there's so many,

Create the number of audio tracks Voicemeeter has inputs.
Arm them all.
Speak.
Which one is recording? Disable all the others.