Tap Tempo while the transport is running

I just tried to use the Tap Tempo to set the project tempo to match a clip I recorded.

When I started the project, tempo was set to the default 120 BPM, but the clip is actually slower.

At first I tried dragging it to the timeline, but the detection failed miserably.

Then I tried opening the Tempo Track and tapping along with the song while it was playing. No go, because the set tempo (120) was overriding what I was tapping in.

Is there some way I can accomplish what I'm trying to do using Cakewalk: manually match the project tempo to an existing clip? Or do I have to I use a 3rd-party app or plug-in?

I use tap tempo quite often without any issues. If I can do it over a loop, my accuracy gets better by the 3rd or 4th pass. If I try to tap to a non-loop segment (especially if the source is not consistent) I usually fail miserably. But it gets me in the ballpark, and then Set Beat to Now zeroes it in. 

I've never experienced the lock to tempo that you're describing tho... I always disable the metronome when doing the operation so my brain doesn't do a russian-dragon thang.

8 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

I've never experienced the lock to tempo that you're describing tho...

Okay, more diving in the Reference Guide yielded this pearl:

"If you want to use tap tempo during playback, first right-click the Tempo track and make sure Update BPM Display During Playback is
disabled."

That seems confusing, as I'm tapping I want it to update the BPM display, but I guess it refers to updating the display to show the current tempo at the playhead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

"If you want to use tap tempo during playback, first right-click the Tempo track and make sure Update BPM Display During Playback is
disabled."

TBH; I don't think that I've ever tried to tap tempo with the (new) tempo track open, so I've not run across that command. I just RMB the tempo in the transport module to open the dialog box. Good to know.

And I'm with David on this^^^.

• Like 1