Cakewalk Can't Find ASIO Device Repeatedly

I've seen posts on this before so I know I'm not alone in dealing with a problem like this.  I have a Focusrite 18i20 audio interface which Cakewalk doesn't recognize in ASIO mode unless I restore the unit to its factory settings and then reboot my computer and re-launch Cakewalk.  Then Cakewalk recognizes it as long as it's running.  (The interface must also be re-configured for my 5.1 speaker setup.)

When I'm done using Cakewalk and exit the program, the ASIO driver is not recognized when I re-launch it.  I set the driver to WASAPI Exclusive and Cakewalk finds it.  I'd like to know why it can find the interface and use ASIO at some times and then not at at others.  Can I do something to keep ASIO recognized without having to reset the interface?

Cakewalk doesn't recognize in ASIO mode unless I restore the unit to its factory settings 

so, using for 5.1 scenario - requires 6 channels of 8 alt channels & leaving the 2 mains for stereo (if desired). not sure why you could configure it for "5.1" mode when it's a multiple output device 🙂 when i use my UMC1820 - well in my case - i have optical out to my 5.1 JVC receiver to run the "5.1" setup and multiple outs for 2.1, 2.0, and so on. but could easly run 6 channels for 5.1 if i was doing mixes on a larger system.

it seems like factory settings and simply patching the outputs to the appropriate speakers/amps etc would get your working.

Focusrite interfaces are probably the #1 best-selling unit in he world -- certainly in North America.  It's extremely unlikely the problem is an incompatibility with CbB and Focusrite HW or drivers, unless there's something wrong with your particular unit.

You should be using ASIO and the latest drivers with your Focusrite - forget the other protocols.   My guess is the problem lies with your USB port.  Most modern PC boards come only with USB3 ports... Your 18i20 is a USB2 unit.  While USB3 ports are supposed to be backwards-compatible, this is often hit and miss.

Things to try:

- Use a USB2 port if available.  Try all of the USB2 ports if you are still having issues.  USB ports are grouped on different controllers, and so can exhibit different behaviors.

- Try a different USB cable.

- If you must use a USB3 port, again, try different ones -- for the reasons explained earlier. 

- If all of the above fails, Byron's suggestion to optimize your system is your next step (or do it first if you like).

Good luck, and let us know if you resolve your problems.

Edited by JonD

Today, I restored the 18i20 to its factory settings again and was in the process of shutting down all applications before rebooting the computer.  But before I did that, I thought I'd just try launching Cakewalk to see what happens.  Lo and behold, it recognized the interface in ASIO mode and worked as normal.  I did not switch to another USB cable or use a different port or go through the optimization steps listed in the link above.

This is a puzzling issue.  It could not be a problem with the interface unless it has a glitch that is corrected by resetting it.  When I restore factory settings, it defaults to a 48 kHz sample rate and I change it to 44.1, which I know Cakewalk likes.  It doesn't seem like this can be a Cakewalk problem because it recognizes the interface in other driver modes when it doesn't work with the ASIO driver.

Perhaps it occurs when another program is running that taps the interface.  For example, YouTube videos play through the 5.1 speakers.  (I do know that means 6 speakers and they are connected as front left and right, rear left and right and center + sub.)  I sometimes have Finale running when I'm using Cakewalk.  There must be a conflict when another application uses the interface but I do not know which one it is.  If I have anything new to report, I'll update the post.

If you want to watch or work with video that is all 48. Don’t use 44.1. It’s only a hold out from the days of CD’s. 
I set all my settings to 48. And I also disable the exclusive mode in both windows and Cakewalk. 

• Like 1