Sonar 8.5 Producer: Display plugins by File Name?

Is there a way for me to change Sonar back to displaying the name of a plugin according to its file name? For example, instead of just "Aria Player", it should say "Aria Player VST (x64)". Is there a specific parameter that I need to configure to make this happen? Sonar only started acting this way after trying Cakewalk By Bandlab on Windows 7 and finding that screenreader accessibility was limited, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with what's happening. I uninstalled then reinstalled Sonar 8.5, thinking that had something to do with fixing it, but nothing's changed. What shall I do next? 😕

In Cakewalk.ini, the VSTPlugInNameFormat setting determines how the name is shown.

• VSTPlugInNameFormat=0  VST Name
  • VSTPlugInNameFormat=1  DLL Name
  • VSTPluginNameFormat=2  VST Name with DLL name in parenthesis
  • VSTPluginNameFormat=3  DLL Name with VST name in parenthesis

So you want to make sure it says:

VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

I can remember if changing this needs a plugin rescan or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

In Cakewalk.ini, the VSTPlugInNameFormat setting determines how the name is shown.

VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

In which part of the .ini file do I find that information?

12 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

In which part of the .ini file do I find that information?

Probably the easiest place to do it is in File->Advanced within preferences.

If that setting isn't in the list box, then it'll not be in Cakewalk.ini and will be using the default of 0.

Just add it within that preferences page, and it'll add it to the correct place within Cakewalk.ini.

15 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Probably the easiest place to do it is in File->Advanced within preferences.

If that setting isn't in the list box, then it'll not be in Cakewalk.ini and will be using the default of 0.

Just add it within that preferences page, and it'll add it to the correct place within Cakewalk.ini.

Are you sure we're talking about the same version of Sonar? I have Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition 64 Bit.

6 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

Are you sure we're talking about the same version of Sonar? I have Sonar 8.5 Producer Edition 64 Bit.

Ah, in that case, just add the line in the [WinCake] section within Cakewalk.ini.

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Ah, in that case, just add the line in the [WinCake] section within Cakewalk.ini.

There's two versions of the Cakewalk.ini file. One is in "C:\Program Data\Cakewalk\Sonar 8.5 Producer". The other is in "C:\Users\PCAudioLabs User\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Sonar 8.5 Producer". Which version do I edit? And, where specifically in the WinCake section would I put the line you're talking about?

9 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

There's two versions of the Cakewalk.ini file. One is in "C:\Program Data\Cakewalk\Sonar 8.5 Producer". The other is in "C:\Users\PCAudioLabs User\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Sonar 8.5 Producer". Which version do I edit? And, where specifically in the WinCake section would I put the line you're talking about?

You want to use the one in C:\Users

Just put the new line between two other settings.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

I've written that line between [Markers View} and [Dump Request Macros]. I wrote it as you described.

VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

I put two blank lines around that parameter. However, I'm confused, as I tried the plugin scan, and it didn't change anything. I feel like something's missing. Don't I need to put <> or [] around the parameters?

1 minute ago, Annabelle said:

I've written that line between [Markers View} and [Dump Request Macros]. I wrote it as you described.

VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

I put two blank lines around that parameter. However, I'm confused, as I tried the plugin scan, and it didn't change anything. I feel like something's missing. Don't I need to put <> or [] around the parameters?

No, it can't go there - you've added it to the Markers View section.  Sorry, didn't explain myself very well.

To avoid confusion, put it directly under the [WinCake] line.

There should be nothing around the parameters, as this would indicate a new config section.

It should read like this:

[WinCake]
VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

21 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

No, it can't go there - you've added it to the Markers View section.  Sorry, didn't explain myself very well.

To avoid confusion, put it directly under the [WinCake] line.

There should be nothing around the parameters, as this would indicate a new config section.

It should read like this:

[WinCake]
VSTPlugInNameFormat=1

I tried that, and still nothing's changed. Should I attach the .ini file so you can see it?

27 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

How would I reset? Is it under the parameter, "Reset Config File"? I did rescan, but nothing changed.

See below when you click reset you have to acknowledge what your about to do.

Restandrescan.thumb.png.bb3b3ea2c21a2626ba0efec01bf311d4.png

23 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

See below when you click reset you have to acknowledge what your about to do.

Restandrescan.thumb.png.bb3b3ea2c21a2626ba0efec01bf311d4.png

Is this within the plugin manager? I can't see what's in that screenshot as I am sight challenged. The only "Reset" button I found was in the "Audio Options" dialog box, but that obviously was probably not the one you were thinking of!

It's in Menu Bar Options > Global... > VST Plug-ins, but not sure it's necessary as it's not necessary in CbB.
reset.jpg.f56ef1b2e8918390d92c36df0c80b33e.jpg

In Sonar 8  go to Menu Bar Options > Initialization File... , fill in the option, click Set and Close, then close and reopen Sonar.  Rescanning shouldn't be necessary but won't hurt anything if you do.
sonar8ini.jpg.db9fae56280cec8b99c2086b3975d9c0.jpg

FWIW, this does work in CbB, but all my attempts to make it work in Sonar 8 have failed.  Nothing changes.  This may be not do-able, current Windows has broken something, or a different qualifier is needed.

If nothing else, you can rename the plugins yourself within Plugin Manager.  Right-click FX Bin > Audio FX > Plug-in Layouts > Manage Layouts...
sonar8pim.jpg.460b66bcb34480d0d6e15809089f284c.jpg