Cakewalk & BlueCat Patchwork>EZkeys2 Anybody have this combination?

Hi Folks.

Maybe some of you have this combination of plugins, or just know what's going on....

Here is the situation: I have EZkeys2 inside of BlueCat's Patchwork plugin. When I try dragging chords to EZkeys from Cakewalk's MIDI track it doesn't populate those chords in EZkeys.

If I have EZkeys on a separate track by itself, I can drag in chords from Cake's track without issues. 

If I just drag same MIDI file (that sits on Cake's track) from a folder on desktop to EZkeys in BC Patchwork it imports it without issues...

Anybody knows what's going on? Thanks!

P.S. When I drag chords from a midi track to EZK in another software while EZkeys are inside of BlueCat patchwork, it imports them OK.  

Edited by Misha

• Misha changed the title to Cakewalk & BlueCat Patchwork>EZkeys2 Anybody have this combination?
7 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Why would you want to do that?

Because my intended use for BC Patchwork is inter-software hub/chainer for certain plugins. Meaning, I can have particular chains and plugin specific stuff saved in one instance of the BC plugin, open it in another software and it will sound exactly same as I left it. And a few other reasons. Would you be kind to test? 

Steps:

1)Load BC in Cakewalk

2) Load EZkeys in BC

3) Drag a Midi file to that instance of EZ inside of BC.

Did  chords populate for you?

Thanks.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

I haven’t tried but I can see why this would not work.

It has something to do with Cakewalk, as this works in other software. Also, as I mentioned in initial post:

"If I just drag same MIDI file (same file that sits on Cake's track) from a folder on desktop directly to EZkeys in BC Patchwork it imports it without issues."

As a workaround for single file, that  ^ works, but if you are making a more complex composition, it becomes an issue.

not sure why it's not working.  but for you it seems to work if you drag from a MIDI track directly into EZK, or if you drag from a file. but it does not work if you do it via the PC patch VST. if i had to guess - something with the BC VST is the problem 🙂 

Glenn,

well If yours is working, I don't get why my doesn't.  BCat Audio support told me it's related to Cakewalk...

Video is from Win 11 machine,

I've done further testing.

New machine, this time Win 10.  Fresh install of BCat patchwork both VST2 and VST3... Same deal (in both) - it doesn't transfer chords, only cells of correct time...  I wonder, what version of BC you have? Maybe I need to dumb it down?

I just watched your video. I saw that the chords did not show up. I see the sections without the chord symbols, but does it have sound? Have you tried saving and then reopening the cakewalk file to see if the chords show up? I had about the same as Glenn. Only minor chord errors.  Are you using Cakewalk or Sonar? Did you try loading cakewalk as an administrator? Are you using patchworks 2.66? You could try an older version too. Sometimes this will work. What other daw did you try?

Max,

Thank you for testing! Mystery....

I tested this scenario on two different machines. Win 11 / Win10 Cakewalk by Bandlab (latest, run as admin) + BC Patchwork - latest 2.67. Both VSt2 and VST3 version of the plugin.

Saving EZ keys session and re-opening brings a blank project.

----------------------

Done more testing... This time around I've used (Kushview) Element, which is in a way similar to BlueCat Patchwork. Same deal. When midi track is dragged over from Cakewalk to BC>EZK2, it populates cells, but not the chords.  So it seems, Cakewalk doesn't transfer data correctly to a plugin that resides inside a "shell" such as BC or Element. But since you and Glenn were able to drag MIDI track from Cake to it successfully, I really don't know what to make of it.

it would be important to know when it stopped working for you. or if it never actually worked and this is something new you're trying out.

i'm guessing it's not Cakewalk incorrectly transferring the information since you can go from CW to EZK (and i tried it with EZB as well) w/o any issue. it's only when you are using an intermediary VST to broker it that you're running into the issue. maybe reach out on the BC forum to see if there are issues in other DAW as well as generally not supporting this approach.

Posted (edited)

Glenn, I've just recently got BC Patchwork.

15 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

it's only when you are using an intermediary VST to broker it that you're running into the issue.

Yeah, but you and Max don't have this issue :)

I opened a ticket with BC  with all the info.  (Including a link to this thread)

P.S. If it's not too much of a trouble, can you tell me please your BC and Windows versions? Thanks.

Edited by Misha

That’s funny I couldn’t find the version number anywhere. ‎Mine is dated Monday, ‎February ‎26, ‎2024 10:16:45 AM the current version is 2.67 dated 02/28/24 according to the web page. I must have version 2.66. I didn’t know there was a  2.67. I probably won’t matter. I think is has to be something odd going on. Glenn, Misha, which version do you have?

Max,

My BC is version is 2.67 (there is an "i" symbol on BC UI, it shows the version)

Glenn,

Thanks! Seems I got same Win11 and 23H2 patch. Mystery...

I emailed Fred at BC, hopefully he can shine a light on this. BlueCat is an awesome plugin and I hope I will figure out why dragging tracks in Cakewalk doesn't work for me. 

I have plenty of "sounds" via Kontakt, Halion and few others, so chaining EZK Midi Out>to various synths + FX works very well for my use.  I just save presets like EZK>Sonic, EZK>Kontakt and recall them via one click instead of prepping tracks each time. What is also extremely helpful that BC allows for multiple VST windows to be opened and closed in one click.  And of course switching to another audio program(s) and get whole chain just as you left it.

P.S. Glenn, I listened to a few of your tracks on reverbnation. Good stuff!