Any tips on speeding up VST search time?

james rector

Question

5 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Promidi said:

Use only VSTs that you actually need.

On that note: I do not have Cakewalk scan VSTs on start up - I only ever do vst scans manually, and on demand  -when I add a VST.

Ok thx.

12 hours ago, Promidi said:

Use only VSTs that you actually need.

On that note: I do not have Cakewalk scan VSTs on start up - I only ever do vst scans manually, and on demand  -when I add a VST.

This!  I first test plug ins on a second computer to help keep the clutter off my main DAW. I only install ones that I think I’ll find useful on main computer. 
Then every once in a while I open plug in manager and Exclude all the ones I haven’t been using. If need them it’s 10 seconds to un exclude later. 
I only run the scanner after I install a new plug in. 

When using Cakewalk under Windows in a fairly default setup, -that is, allowing things like Windows Security to stay active, I have long ago found that adding all of your VST folder locations, and even the Cakewalk Core main executable and the Shared Utilites - VSTScan one as well, to the "Virus & threat protection settings - Exclusions" list, removed all slowness from my VST scans, except for some Waves plugins that still are probably misconfigured. My example is from Windows 10 Pro.

In fact, loading some large libraries (ahem, Kontakt) for VSTs themselves can be sped up as well by adding them to your Security software exclusions lists. -Remember, however, that if any security risks are somehow loaded and then accessed in any of those locations, you may be more vulnerable. -Depends on how you prefer to manage your system, as is the preference of whether to have VST scans run regularly, or just manually. -That has been my experience anyway, of course, your mileage may vary.