HOW TO RECORD KORG M50 COMBI SOUNDS IN CAKEWALK

Steven Gerard

Question

Hello.  I'm trying to figure out how to record Korg M50 combi sounds to Cakewalk.  If you're familiar with the Korg, there are prog and combi sounds.  I know how to record prog sounds (midi) but the combi sounds are composed of multiple sounds.  I tried recording to an audio track but it crashes Cakewalk.  To record in midi, I believe I'd need to create a separate midi track for each individual sound that comprises the combi sound, but I'm just not sure.  So I'm reaching out to all the pros out there to help out an extreme amateur.   Thank you very much.

9 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Steven Gerard said:

Hello.  I'm trying to figure out how to record Korg M50 combi sounds to Cakewalk.  If you're familiar with the Korg, there are prog and combi sounds.  I know how to record prog sounds (midi) but the combi sounds are composed of multiple sounds.  I tried recording to an audio track but it crashes Cakewalk.  To record in midi, I believe I'd need to create a separate midi track for each individual sound that comprises the combi sound, but I'm just not sure.  So I'm reaching out to all the pros out there to help out an extreme amateur.   Thank you very much.

This and these?

Edited by User 905133
added link to additional manuals that might help someone to help the OP

Not sure if it’s the same as my Korg 05r/w but you can’t output audio from each instrument from the analog outputs. It only outputs the stereo mix.

So not sure why you are crashing Cakewalk? Obviously by its vintage it’s a 5 pin midi connection. So what are you using for your midi interface? 

You basically would have to record each part in a separate pass and mute the other sounds as you go. 
Personally because there’s much better sounds available with VST instruments to me I don’t think it’s worth the bother.

Korg even has a VST version of this series.
I only like to record the full instrument sounds they are way better quality than Combi mode which is on par with Cakewalk TTS-1 sounds. 

Edited by John Vere

John, I unplugged the usb and yes!  I was able to record the combi sound to an audio track.  I have my Korg connected to a Focusrite scarlett 4i4 interface with 5 pin midi cables.  I also have the Korg 1/4 inch outputs going into the L and R instrument inputs on the 4i4.  Just this week I added the USB connection in order to run the M50 plugin editor vst.  Can't thank you enough for pointing out something so simple to fix my problem.   With all these connections and daw software, sometimes you miss the forest for the trees.  Again, a million thanks.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 3:48 PM, Steven Gerard said:

Thanks but I have all the manuals.  Can't find anywhere that my particular issue is addressed.

Glad you solved the issue.  By the way, when I wrote this? and these? I was not asking, "Have you looked in this and these?" I was asking if this? and these? are the docs for your gear.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  I looked through the first manual (this?) and didn't see anything that would help, so I looked for more manuals and wanted to know if I was looking at the correct manuals for your gear before reading through those, too. 

Lol.  I'm just glad I've got it sorted out now.  Having another brain look at the problem helps.  Thanks again man

Yeah, those were the right manuals.  So I got one problem solved and of course another one comes up.  Trying to figure how to record my e drums using si drums vst where each drum piece gets its own track.