Insanity Samples Celebrate with us! with 50% flash sale on Tutti Sketches... In celebration of the Sampleist releasing their review

cclarry

It's just a side note, but it's kind of hilarious when a sample developer does a promotion using a nano influencer (this one has around 2k subscribers) that hawks sample libraries giving a good review. It's the equivalent of celebrating your salesperson giving your products a good review. It's somewhere in between deceptive and the business equivalent of Spinal Tap.

Any dev who gives a nano influencer a bunch of free products that normally cost money gets a favorable review; that's how the system works. Sorry to give away the secret formula,  but that's it. You give them free product, sometimes cash (and macro influencers always want cash, only the little guys work for free product), and the promise of future goodies and they do what is nothing  less than a promotional video for you without the proper legal disclosures to make it deceptively appear unbiased.

And yes, I still tell developers to get products in influencers hands,  because it's highly effective and cheaper and faster at getting sales than  other forms of promotion.  I always urge them to try to push the influencers to do the proper disclosures,  but, of course,  it's not happening,  so I, instead, want to do my best to inform consumers how things really work. 

So let's celebrate a shill promoting us! I call BS. But it's on a level that's also verges on absurdity. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, jngnz said:

It helps that literally everyone with working ears will realise this library is a joke after like 3 seconds of listening to it.

Not the nano influencer,  apparently. 

UPDATE: I watched some of the influencer's video and I give the guy credit for at least admitting that he got a free full copy of the library. What follows is a really bad promo video for the product.  It doesn't in any way resemble a serious review. It's like a car salesman pushing a rust warranty on a new car. It's a bit over the top. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

2 hours ago, Kirean said:

It's not the same person in all of the videos. Seems like a bunch of different ones.

There's only one video from the nanoinfluencer with a video on the product page, The Sampliest. The rest, I believe, were made by the developer.  Granted, there's nothing different from most developers in his using influencers, as I mentioned, I've even connected developers up with influencers from Simeon who posts at this forum to Cory Pellazarri (who I thought was the most honest influencer in this space who I know of and we quickly became friends) to macro influencers for this space like Venus Theory (who I really like and I enjoy his videos, I think he's a genuinely nice guy and has always been super cool in our conversations).  What's different is how this small dev hypes up a nano influencer giving him a good fake review as if that's something rare. Nope. Give a nano influencer freebies and they do a video hyping up your product -- that is the way the game works. And yet this developer makes it seem like this nano influecer, whose videos reach a pretty small audience -- and hence, these are level of influencer called nano influencer who are trying to grow their audience and often will do a faux review video in exchange for free products and the hope of the developer sponsoring them in the future or paying them for walkthrough videos or other proomos. I enjoy Simeon's videos and have referred him over to some developers, and then he's gone on to do straight up promo videos for at least one developer friend of mine, Kirk Hunter. It's just the way influencer marketing works. These guys truly are just doing sales promotion for developers, but it gets scammy when they call them reviews, because they're not. That's when it becomes a straight up shilling game.  

Think of it this way. You're a small developer. You can buy ads and pay sponsorship fees at KVR, VI-Control, Bedroom Producer, Rekerd.org, Google's network, etc. which are really helpful for creating awareness of your brand/sample library/plugin. Google search is great for spreading awareness, but it can be really costly and unless you go after really specific keywords, you're reading A LOT of the wrong people, which is costly. With forum advertising and sponsorship you're reaching A LOT more of the right audience, but most of your advertising is building awareness for your brand and products. An influencer's business is all about persuading people to trust them, then selling that trust for cash and things of value to brands -- developers in this case. If you spend say $5k-10k for a non top tier influencer to hawk your product in a faux review, it will sell VASTLY more product than spending the same amount in advertising. So, influencer marketing is super popular in this space and really nearly every space. It's basically the same model as infommercials, except it's almost always inherently deceptive, as influencers almost always dishonest about their financial relationships with brands and what their business is about. My hope is that enforcement of regulations and consumer pressure will make practices at least a little more ethical. 

Influencers commonly start videos by declaring that they're completely unbiased when the reality is, they're really just salespeople being used to promote products that they're conpensated to promote. That's all there is to it. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

I meant on Sampleist's YT-channel. At least the few I checked had a few different voices.

Seems like a lot larger operation than just the usual "one guy" thing. 

Edited by Kirean