Cherry Audio CR78 - Intro Offer $49

Vernon Barnes

I don't think it's for newcomers, I think it's for people who would like to own an actual CR-78 but can't afford the thousands of dollars they now sell for.

It seems to me to be like D16 Drumazon in that it's designed to resemble and function exactly like the original, down to how you program it.

It's not about the sounds, which are readily available for free from various sources, it's about the interface and controls. Programming beats with such a thing will lead the user in certain directions and make it easy to nail particular sounds from songs made with the original.

I'm a fan of certain songs that used it prominently, like "I Can't Go For That" and "Me and Sarah Jane." Those patterns and sounds evoke a certain time in my life and in music history. I'm part of the targeted market for this product for sure.

As such, it tempts me, but I can't justify dropping $40 on yet another friggin' drum machine. I have too many as it is.

The drum VSTi that I fantasize about is one that would use the A|A|S engine, either made by them or licensed. Their soundpacks have some cool drum sounds in them, but sticking half a dozen instances of Player in a project is kinda clunky.

• Like 1