Masking/Unmasking

What are your favorite tools to find and solve masking problems. Ok skip the 1st one, Start with #2.

Any old EQ -Ears, Pro-Q3, TrackSpacer, Span Plus, MultiFreq,  Nectar

I have used TrackSpacer a few times. I would use it more because it is so easy, but the CPU is a little high.  I have Nectar3-4 but never used it. I hear Nectar is also high CPU plug. I have use Multifreq and ProQ3.

1)Ears and an EQ

2)

usually just #1 but if i have a dense mix i'll use my Izotope tools to find and unmask neutron/nectar. ultimately though i also check with MP3 listens (either via the Ozone Codec or an exported MP3) since the MP3 algorithm (even on its highest setting of 320K) will make choices on masking and even small mix changes can have significant results in the MP3 output (one example comes to mind - a tambourine hit which is just barely there in the mix suddenly becomes the next loudest thing in an MP3 - why? - the algorithm felt it was the strongest signal that the particular frequency and then suppressed other).

so, i would say checking your target output file type is critical. and if you're streaming, recheck there as well - some streaming services (in an effort to make things "sound better") seem to do some EQ'ing and loudness adjustments (perhaps they call it "mastering") even if you don't want it.

for example, Reverbnation - seems to do some slight bandwidth reduction (stuff seems slightly crunchy compared to my source file) cause a very slight darkening on the material, otoh, Broadjam seems to add some additional HF and loudness making things brighter and louder (regardless of the LUFS i submit - whether -12 or -14). Reverbnation target artists who want to sell their stuff, gigs, etc; Broadjam is about getting paid to help find deals for your music so tries to make it "sound better" to "assist". maybe i'm incorrect but that's my observations using those two services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i should have mentioned the unmasking EQ stuff is usually very small (~1db) type moves across several instruments (if needed) and some clip gain adjustments to elevate slightly where needed as well (like that errant tambourine hit - i might reduce that one or two to get it lower - 1db or so and maybe boost 1db on that instrument being masked).

so 99% of the time is small moves - for most songs - i depend heavily on arrangement to get a good mix...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

+1 to the above. Another thing to be cognizant of is that many "solutions" are static in two regards... 1) they assume collapse to mono, and 2) they often apply a solution that will not change during the duration of a song unless you actively intercept that. While neither is inherently "bad," they tend to ignore two other important elements, panning and faders. Another thing to keep in mind is to focus on elements in the same way that you want the listener to track them (even with simple faders/automation) to give space/focus when introduced then move them more into the background if they are repetitive. Even with frequency collisions, the louder will take precedence at that point in time, so EQ may not always be the right choice for the situation.

While many "unmasking" tools can be super helpful, just beware of things that give you a static solution irrespective of the dynamics of the song itself, verse, chorus, yada yada, across an entire track.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 2