Vocal double compression

pretty sure using sidechain compression has been around for at least 40 years and longer to duck things like: bass from kick drums, instruments from vocals and solos, reverbs/delays from vocals and solos, etc. in combination with delays on reverb and echoes for either clarity or "slap" purposes. and one suspects this was common across genres...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Simple Verse said:

Am I correct assuming this trick is rather modern thing? I don't think they used this back in the 90's in euro dance? Or what you think? Any sample tracks where this might have been applied during that era?

If by "rather modern thing" you mean "fad," then pretty much; no different than gated drums or even the loudness wars. As far as the mechanics behind it, there is nothing new about it. That video keeps popping up off and on, but it is definitely not a "required" feature to be used. I am definitely not a "swimming in reverb" proponent, but someone had asked how to set that up in CbB specifically several months ago.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Simple Verse said:

Am I correct assuming this trick is rather modern thing? I don't think they used this back in the 90's in euro dance? Or what you think? Any sample tracks where this might have been applied during that era?

No. Sidechaining reverb to vocals wasnt really used until the 2000's, but it was a common technique in the film industry on screams and explosions and mostly on claps and snares in both Film and Music. As for the "Sidechain" technique itself - that has been around since the 1930's. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1