Foldable MIDI Keyboards

X-53mph

I know that this is probably an insane question to ask on a musician board, but has anyone ever bought one of those foldable MIDI keyboards?

The reason I ask is that my son is a piano student at conservatory and when we go on summer break, he often doesn't have access to a piano for weeks on end. I was considering a folding keyboard to take in the car so he could practice in the hotel room, or anywhere we stop. We have an upright piano in the house and a Casio semi-weighted keyboard which he uses in the evenings when it's late.  I know the folded keyboards are unlikely to get anywhere near the performance of these, but it hope they are at least good enough for speed training.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Zero experience with these, but a generic "best [whatever]" will often yield a buyersguide.org link near the top worth perusing. Best Portable Keyboards give this one, and the Blackstar models seems to hit the top of that list for foldable variants. Once you dig into review on things, I find the negative reviews tend to be the most useful (if they took the time to actually write something substantial in it). It is also good if you can put the price point into the "expendable" category, so if it gets dropped into a lake you won't freak out about it.

Thanks @mettelus 

I have seen some of those YouTube videos and the brand Blackstar came up a few times. Only problem with that, it isn't velocity sensitive.

I'm wondering if there is any real difference between that brand and the cheap no-brand foldable keyboards you see on Temu such as below: 👇

Screenshot_20240124-084634.png

Edited by 53mph

14 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

yeah just don't lose a piece or break one... it would be interesting to see how much a replacement part costs... might be best to get a high quality 49 key unit and a backpack for it...

I was considering that. Only trouble is, my son is studying classical piano at the conservatory and many of the pieces he needs to practice use at least 77 keys.

I'll keep thinking, but thanks everyone for the input. If I come into a large sum of money, I would be interested to get the https://pianodevoyage.com/ 

Thanks

yeah, finding a properly weighted 88 key which is fair portable will be expensive no matter. maybe he just needs one for his room for private practice and use the real one in class when needed. you could probably find a reasonably priced one, perhaps even used (which may just need some TLC) for his room.