How to insert Midi FX plug-in on a MIDI track within an instrument folder?

In Cakewalk Plug-in Manager x64, I see seven registered MIDI FX plug-ins (all original Cakewalk stuff), but I'm unable to insert any of them as a MIDI FX on a MIDI track. 

Normally (in CW 8.5) I would see a right-click menu option MIDI FX and then I would select. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Running CW v.2023.09 build 075, 64-bit

Screenshot 2024-01-15 222604.png

Edited by George S

Thanks for the quick response. I do get that when I use a blank MIDI track, as per your picture.

The issue I'm having is with a track created using "Insert instrument" option. In CW 8.5, this would create an instrument folder with two tracks: one MIDI and the other audio for instrument output. Here I get one track that can record MIDI, but the FX box seems to be for the instrument audio, so only audio FX can be inserted. The instrument folder indicates 1 MIDI and 1 audio track (see attachment), but what is visible is a hybrid track (can record MIDI, but FX are audio)

Perhaps I should rephrase my question: how to show separate MIDI and audio tracks for an instrument?

Screenshot 2024-01-15 222604.png

Edited by George S

• George S changed the title to How to insert Midi FX plug-in on a MIDI track within an instrument folder?

Open the <Inspector> [shortkey I] which will pop open the two channel strips to the left of the Track View [TV]. At the very bottom there are two tabs labled Audio and MIDI. Click on the MIDI one and you will see that the leftmost channel strip changes appearance to a MIDI channel. RMB in the FX bin in that chan strip and you will get the command.

chan.png.3cd6a13b8e644bcca663897407d7221d.png

If you RMB on the Track Number (or in the blank space to the right of the track name) you will get a fly-out menu with the command <Split Instrument Track> available, which will split the inst track into associated synth & MIDI tracks.

split.png.ffa01e56035756d1c794aed5e4ea0a83.png
Read in the help facility on Split Instrument Track and Make Instrument Track.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip about using the Track Inspector > MIDI tab > FX Bin method.  When hybrid tracks (audio + MIDI) came in, I just continued to use methods that were familiar to me.  For my needs it was so much quicker to split tracks than to spend the time to do a deep dive into the Inspector.  Also, finding out that the Inspector-based Arpeggiator had some very specific MIDI flaws on my computers further discouraged me from using the Inspector for anything but very simple things.

Now that I have been spending time making use of software synths over the past several years, having the ability to add MIDI FX without splitting instrument track by using the Inspector will be a timer saver for me!!!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, George S said:

how to show separate MIDI and audio tracks for an instrument?

2 ways with Instrument tracks.  1.Using Inspector > MIDI button as Outrage said, or 2. Right-click Instrument track and select Split Instrument Track.
#2 is reversible by selecting both tracks and right-clicking Make Instrument Track.

Otherwise, when inserting a new soft synth:

1. Click Insert > Soft Synth...

2. Deselect Simple Instrument Track

3. Select MIDI Source

• Great Idea 1