Control or synchronise parameters of multiple instances of a plugin on different busses?

grannis

Question

I like to use reverb on 3 busses with different predelay and early/late ratios to mimic different room placements. However some parameters, like room size, I want to keep the same across the 3 busses.

at the moment, if I adjust the room size (for example), it's hard to tell whether it's better or worse than the previous setting, because it takes too long to do, so my ears forget what it was like before. At the moment, I'm just using the stock Sonitus Reverb (which works surprisingly well for it's age and price!) but I also have the full Melda Production suite at my disposal if there's an answer somewhere in there.

3 answers to this question

if it's a single parameter, it seems like you just pop into the effect and change it 3x. once per buss. 10 seconds? esp if you're focus is on the room size only. that said, depending on what your routing through those busses, sometimes different room sizes may make it more interesting - drums, guitars, vocals, strings, etc can all benefit from different settings including room size.

using an envelope to control the room size parameter is also an option - but essential the same as directly modifying each. the benefit of the envelope is you can adjust throughout the song - e.g. enlarge the room for the chorus or verse and then shrink back. use the same to bring instruments back and forward.

• Like 1

Create an automation, one each for each parameter.  Then map a CC to these automation using remote control.

I just tried it with 3 instances of Sonitus Reverb and this worked

I created an automation lane for the Room Size of each Sonitus Reverb

Via Remote Control, I assigned CC72 to the each automation lanes of all 3 instances of Sonitus Reverb. 

Moved the slider on the MIDI controller.  The Room size of all 3 instances of Sonitus Reverb adjusted simultaneously.

• Like 4