Cakewalk crashes at splash screen after faderport 8 Install.

Kevin Roberts

Question

Hello. Hope someone can help.

I've been using CbL without issue with the last update for some time, Running Win10.

Today it tried to install  a daw control surface, Presonus Faderport 8 as I saw it works with Cakewalk.

I had Cakewalk running and was trying to get it connected with the faderport.

At one point I got a error message about "FP8" (Fader port being an audio driver? I didn't get to copy the message!

I'd also tried to set up the Mackie control surface in the preferences. 

It never did link with the Faderport as far as I can tell.

Now after the error message, when I try to open Cakewalk it opens to the splash screen and closes. I'm now completely without a daw.

I disconnected the FP8 from the USB. Uninstalled the "Universal controll" software etc.

Nothing works.I can't get into CbL to try to correct the problem.

Any idea how to get it to open?

Is there a way to reinstall Cakewalk  now that its not supported any longer.

Is there a final version file I can download to reinstall or am I just out of luck?

Appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

5 answers to this question

Most likely a corrupt ctrlsurface.dat.

Before you launch Cakewalk, rename ctrlsurface.dat to ctrlsurface.old  within %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core - then start Cakewalk.

You'll most likely have to set up your control surfaces again within preferences.

Thank you for the feedback.

I'll try when I get home and report back.

If it dosent work, it there no full reinstall option any longer?

I have all these projects I'll never be able to access if I can't get it back up and running.

Appreciate your time and assistance.

6 hours ago, Kevin Roberts said:

If it doesn’t work, it there no full reinstall option any longer?

Check your "%userprofile%\Downloads\Cakewalk" folder.  The Cakewalk by Bandlab installers might be in there.

Also, if Mark's (msmcleod) suggestion does not work and before committing to a full re-install rename AUD.INI to AUD.old and TTSSEQ.INI to TTSSEQ.old and try that as well... AUD.INI is your audio setup and TTSSEQ.INI is your system Midi setup... Cakewalk will regenerate both files but you will have to reconfigure your setup...

If you do commit to a full re-install and you do not delete the "AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core" user directory I'm fairly sure that cakewalk does not over-write those files and you could still have the same problem... Mark can correct me if I'm wrong on that...

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

%APPDATA%

Mark - Thank you so much. I cant tell you how grateful I am for your advice  (and everyone else as well - Thank you all!!)

Renaming the file did it. I was able to restart and reactivate Cakewalk. 

And I got the fader port set up correctly and so far it works well.

I was pretty down at the thought of loosing everything and not knowing if any of the fixes would work.

I could never have come to  that solution on my own.  I'm so grateful to this community who gives up there time to help others.

You are all so appreciated. Thank you all again for your assistance.

• Like 3