Latency issue

Hi there,

I'm recording guitars with an amp sims and my scarlet interface.

I would like to record with the effects and distortion from the amp-sim plugin, the issue is that if I reduce the buffer size to decrease latency, I start hearing cracks and pops.

Now, if I put it a around 330 sample rate the cracks and pops disappear but there's too much latency and I'm unable to record.

Is there any solution to this?? ANy tips?

I wouldn't like to record in direct monitor with the clean guitar.

Edited by Marcello

The only solution is to figure out what is causing the delays in your machine. Make sure your using the latest driver, Preferably, a good ASIO driver. 

Optimize your computer for audio by following one of the guides. I.E. 

If all else fails run Resplendence Latency Mon while recording and see what items are causing the computer to not keep up.

Posted (edited)

thanks, I will check this out. Anyway the latency is not extreem, but still I can hear some millisecond delay when I play. It's a laptop with 8 gB RAM though

Edited by Marcello

29 minutes ago, Marcello said:

thanks, I will check this out. Anyway the latency is not extreem, but still I can hear some millisecond delay when I play. It's a laptop with 8 gB RAM though

The only way to get the delay caused by latency down is to be able to run at a lower buffer. Generally under 128 becomes less noticeable if your interface drivers are also capable of lower latency. Every driver is a little different and the lower price interfaces will often have slightly worse performance.RME is one of the few brands that seems to have better performance. 
Example your Focusrite probably has around 12 ms of RTL at a buffer of 128. When an RME might have 8ms at the same buffer. 
Almost any interface can be made to get as low as  a 32 ms buffer but only on a very high end system. 
And then only if the project is stripped clean of process hungry plug ins. 
About all you can try is to freeze all your synths and bypass all your effects except the guitar sim while tracking and try a lower buffer. You should be able to use 128 with a Focusrite.. 

@Marcellobounce all the tracks down to a stereo mix. Archive all tracks ( this is easier if things are organized in folders. Now all you have running is the backing track you are playing to, and the one guitar track you are recording. This should allow CbB to run glitch free at the interface’s lowest setting. 
HTH,

t

• Like 1