Are the outputs on a Minimoog or Behringer Poly D strictly dual mono?

prey

Believe it or not I've tried searching this, and all 2023 AI can do is think I'm asking about monophony vs. polyphony. 

Is there any difference between the left and right output channels on these analog synths, like pseudo-stereo effects with anything selected?

The Poly D manual shows recording as both channels being run into an interface, but with live band practice they're just running one channel into an amp.

I had an okay interface in just having a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, but its two inputs are balanced and unbalanced. Same goes for a Headrush Gigboard my guitarist brother gave me (fun with flutes, synths, banjo, lyre harp...) which has just one 1/4" mono input (usually for guitar). It has stereo input, but it's 1/8" which is hard to imagine using indefinitely (despite the fact the electronics get smaller than that inside...so I'm still wondering why it matters but I'm told it does).

Since this is a Cakewalk forum I'll state my favorite interface for a decade was the Edirol (Roland) UA-25 that finally started making noise.

As to have actual 1/4" left and right inputs, again, I caved and got a AU Volt 2 (since a Focusrite 2i2 has no midi in/out and I wanted it for my theremin and things).

But I still want to know if the left and right channels of my Poly D synth are ever anything but identical.

If recording with L and R are no different than recording R and then then copying it to a L channel, I won't feel like I'm missing anything subtle when I feel like playing with the Gigboard with just mono in and stereo out created by the Gigboard.

If there is any pseudo-stereo going on with the Poly D, I'll usually just run the Volt 2 with both channels and apply other fx later.

Thanks

Jeff

Edited by prey

Record both outputs to a stereo track and zoom the waveforms. Any meaningful true-stereo difference should be obvious. I'm not familiar with these synths, but if they have onboard FX some of those might manufacture stereo content that isn't in the raw audio from the synth section.

Posted (edited)
On 12/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

The Poly D does have a Juno chorus effect.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the balanced L and R outputs.

Thanks... it's nice to know the "Juno" reference, too. There is so little available as far as literature for the Poly D, since most of the questions would be answered in studying what it's a clone of (Minimoog Model D) , but as for the Chorus (and thus any stereo) I didn't know what the inspiration was. Now I see those same buttons on Juno clone pedals. Much appreciated.

That OB-X8 with the pan-spread of oscillators sounded interesting so I looked it up. That's "a pricey a'meatball, ah?!". I guess it inspired the Behringer UB-Xa clone, and I see the mono as well as the  L and R, like you said about the original Oberheim. I'm lucky I didnt see that when I was shopping. The Poly D will keep me busy; the inspiration to get an affordable analog synth (instead of just plugins) was BBC Radiophonic Workshop's work on original Hitchiker's Guide soundtracks, and the more synthy versions of Journey of the Sorcerer used as the theme song . I practice banjo (as in said song) which may fit into space gaming music more than some might think, hehe.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Sure enough, so far, the only visual difference I've noticed between L and R wave forms (as in David's suggestion) is with the Chorus engaged.

Edited by prey
banjo relevance (lol)

On 1/3/2024 at 10:25 AM, prey said:

Thanks... it's nice to know the "Juno" reference, too. There is so little available as far as literature for the Poly D, since most of the questions would be answered in studying what it's a clone of (Minimoog Model D) , but as for the Chorus (and thus any stereo) I didn't know what the inspiration was. Now I see those same buttons on Juno clone pedals. Much appreciated.

That OB-X8 with the pan-spread of oscillators sounded interesting so I looked it up. That's "a pricey a'meatball, ah?!". I guess it inspired the Behringer UB-Xa clone, and I see the mono as well as the  L and R, like you said about the original Oberheim. I'm lucky I didnt see that when I was shopping. The Poly D will keep me busy; the inspiration to get an affordable analog synth (instead of just plugins) was BBC Radiophonic Workshop's work on original Hitchiker's Guide soundtracks, and the more synthy versions of Journey of the Sorcerer used as the theme song . I practice banjo (as in said song) which may fit into space gaming music more than some might think, hehe.

Thanks to everyone for replying. Sure enough, so far, the only visual difference I've noticed between L and R wave forms (as in David's suggestion) is with the Chorus engaged.

Thanks for sharing your synth journey! The Juno connection and exploration of the OB-X8 sound intriguing. The banjo twist in space gaming music is a cool touch. Enjoy your Poly D adventure! It may not be a game but it seems to remind me of the anime Cowboy Bebop.