Expression pedal

jkoseattle

Question

I have an expression pedal plugged into my keyboard, but a couple things aren't working as expected when I am trying to record expression:

1) When recording, If I slowly press the pedal up from it's lowest position, the expression movement only shows that it's going from about 60% to 100% in CW. it also sounds like it. It's not that the pedal only transmits data once the pedal gets to 60%, as all movement is being recorded - it's that the lowest expression reading starts at about 60%.

2) The pedal movements are being recorded as actual clips that sprout a new take lane rather than as an envelope. Is this to be expected? Before recording I made an envelope for Midi channel 11, and if I manually edit this envelope the instrument does what I want, (and what I expect the pedal to be doing). But I am not abel to affect this envelope using the pedal.

I haven't used this pedal in a few years, but I'm pretty darn sure it wasn't like this back then. Ideas?

What no one posted:
"Hey Jim, you're a great guy and a talented composer. By the way, you may not know that a lot of expression pedals come with little dials on them so you can ADJUST the range of values the pedal will send. Make sure you haven't inadvertently turned that dial. Because, who knows, maybe you just need to turn it all the way and suddenly the full 0-127 range of the pedal is open to you!"

My response:
"Wow! You got it exactly right, it was as simple as that! Problem solved.  (And thanks for confirming what I've already suspected regarding my prodigious skills.)"

1 hour ago, jkoseattle said:

What no one posted:
"Hey Jim, you're a great guy and a talented composer. By the way, you may not know that a lot of expression pedals come with little dials on them so you can ADJUST the range of values the pedal will send. Make sure you haven't inadvertently turned that dial. Because, who knows, maybe you just need to turn it all the way and suddenly the full 0-127 range of the pedal is open to you!"

You must have missed my post. That's exactly what I suggested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

Ah, is that what you meant? I was unable to translate "check the setting on that low limit pot" to "turn that little dial on the side", lol

But was that the solution?

10 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

Ah, is that what you meant? I was unable to translate "check the setting on that low limit pot" to "turn that little dial on the side", lol

Oops! Sorry.

Pot=potentiometer=variable resistor. Most continuously adjustable controls are pots (with digital encoders next most common).

It's used more for rotary controls. Volume pot, tone pot, treble pot, bias pot, pan pot. The straight line ones in analog mixing consoles (faders) are also potentiometers.

Tiny ones meant for making precise adjustments are "trim pots."