Recording before having project named

JeffSouth

Question

Hi folks.  I have been trying to figure the easiest way to do something, so I will explain and hope I get some ideas.

OK, I have my recording Template file.  I bring that up for a new song.   My Template is called "Basic."

OK, got my template loaded and am ready to record

Now, let's say I record 2 guitar tracks and a Bass guitar.  Great.

Now, I record these without saving anything yet, but I am happy with it.   But, since I have not given my new song a name and saved it  yet recorded those tracks first, the wav files recorded go direct to the global audio folder, NOT to my project folder because I haven't named my song/project yet and saved it.

Now, I have my three tracks and decide to stop now, so I save my project and name it.   Now I open it again later, and now lets say I record a couple more tracks, well those new tracks are the only recordings in the audio folder in my project folder.  Cakewalk did take my first 3 tracks and move or copy them to the audio folder inside my now named project folder.

So I do changes to my first 3 tracks but decide I want to start over and reload the original recordings, well then, my originals are in the global audio folder with tons of other audio tracks from other projects. Those first 3 tracks are not easy to find as I have to Wade through a ton of tracks listening to each one to see if it is even from my new project.

If I bounce tracks AFTER I have saved the project to it's name, then all my files, originals plus bounces, are in that specific audio folder in that project folder.   So I can find those and reimport the original files easily, but it is misery to have to Wade through dozens and dozens of tracks from every project trying to find one of the 3 original wave files for my new project.

Why wouldn't Cakewalk auto move the first recordings before I saved and named the project to the audio folder in my project folder AFTER I name and save the project?

In other words, any track recordings I make BEFORE I actually name  and save the project are put in the global audio folder and NOT copied or moved by Cakewalk over to the newly named and saved project folder.  This makes searching for those original files miserable: 

So one solution is to first name and save the project BEFORE I do any recording so that the actual recordings will be in the new project folder inside the audio folder there.

But I don't want to have to name my project before I go in and start recording.  Many times I just want to experiment and play around to even see if a song idea starts coming together.   Also, many times I forget to name and save before I start recording.

And my template has tracks named, like "guitar 1"  or "Bass".  Which means in the global audio folder I may have a bunch of files called "guitar 1" from several different projects, which is why it is so miserable to go through them having to listen.

I hope the new Sonar will auto copy or move any files automatically to the proper audio folder inside the project folder so I know that ALL audio recorded in that project are seperate and in that project folder.  That way Ill know that guitar 1 is the track from this project.

But how do you guys deal with this?  It doesn't happen often I want to reload an original recording.  I use a lot of Acustica plugs, and I need to just burn them in place to save cpu at times. 

So am I missing some setting that will make this easier?  Right now I am looking at my screen, I have burned in several Acustica plugs, preamp, comp and such, I want to just try a different set of plugs.  But, if I recorded this track before I named and saved the project, then the original recording is in the global audio folder only, not in my audio folder inside the project folder which would be easy to find in that case.

Please, Cakewalk will entice me to buy the new paid Sonar with just a couple changes, this is one.  Auto copy any files in the global audio folder into their specific projects audio folder so I don't have to rumage through 25 tracks all named "guitar 1" to find the right one.

And the huge thing that would definitely make me buy the new paid version is if they will add what Reaper has done, OVERSAMPLING PER PLUGIN!!!. 

I know we have the 2X button up top, but allow us to just right click any plug and choose x2, x4, x8 for that specific plug.   This would be awesome and great for old plugs like Waves plugs.  People using Reaper just love this new feature and if the new Sonar has it I will no doubt buy it and I would be trumpeting it all over Gearspace.  That single ability would mean so many sales for Sonar.   Reaper folks on Gearspace love this feature and rant on how awesome it is.  Load up an old Waves plug or any plug without OS, right click on it and choose to use OS on it, or only for offline bouncing, that would be enough right there to make me buy the new Sonar when it's ready.

Sorry for rambling so.

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, JeffSouth said:

I know we have the 2X button up top, but allow us to just right click any plug and choose x2, x4, x8 for that specific plug.

Upsampling has to be enabled per-Plugin by clicking the icon at the left end of the plugin UI's title bar. The 2X button in the Mix Module then enables/disables upsampling globally, but only for plugins that have it enabled individually.

1 hour ago, JeffSouth said:

And my template has tracks named, like "guitar 1"  or "Bass".  Which means in the global audio folder I may have a bunch of files called "guitar 1" from several different projects, which is why it is so miserable to go through them having to listen.

Utilities > CWAF Tool (Cakewalk Audio Finder) will show you which files are referenced by which project(s) and where they're located, among many other things.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Just be sure to check the box to Copy all Audio with Project in the Save dialog, and the initial recordings done before saving shoud be copied to the project audio folder.

The "Save As.." dialog can also be your friend when you have done multiple iterations of a project and have a lot of bounce files no longer being used. When saving to a new folder, only the files required by the cwp being saved (be careful if you have multiple cwp files, you need to do each one individually if you want to keep them all) will be copied over to the new directory. This is useful if you have a truckload of bounces you are wanting to get rid of in the original project folder.

If I understand the question:

All the audio & midi goes into the folder with the same name as my song. I first name the file with the date. (As in: Improv 12-14-2023) I may not have an actual song name for months. I just have a pile of tracks with the date as the song name. When I get to the point of having a song name after I add some vocals. I close cakewalk & use explorer to rename the folder & the song name (.CWP) in that folder with the new name. Double click on the CWP & it opens with the new name.

Make sure to select having your songs save to their own folder for this to work.