RIP Myles Goodwyn (April Wine)

Rain

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/myles-goodwyn-april-wine-singer-dead-obituary-1234908910/

This one hits me hard. I discovered them late, but April Wine has been a huge part of my life for the last few years. Their album First Glance in particular -  it is played at least once or twice a month, on my nights off.

I'd been following him for a few years on Facebook, and that's where I learned in March that he was retiring from performing with April Wine, although he remained involved with the band. He was still performing with his acoustic trio, their last show in October if I remember correctly. He was quite active on Facebook until mid November.

His last post was a song of his called "Will the Last Voice I Hear Be An Angel?"

He was 75.

In true Canadian fashion, I learned the news from a post by Alex Lifeson of Rush.

I'll be rocking First Glance and a lot more tonight.

RIP Myles and thanks for all the music.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Rain changed the title to RIP Myles Goodwyn (April Wine)

Although I had a VERY short time playing live in a band, a few of the April Wine songs were definitely in the rotation.

I think listening to their discography might be just the ticket for today!  (I only fell asleep at 7:30 pm and am now up and starting to work at 1:30 am!  Go figure...)

25 minutes ago, craigb said:

Although I had a VERY short time playing live in a band, a few of the April Wine songs were definitely in the rotation.

I think listening to their discography might be just the ticket for today!  (I only fell asleep at 7:30 pm and am now up and starting to work at 1:30 am!  Go figure...)

Been living on this side of the clock for the last 3 years. Going to bed at 10:30 in the morning, up at 6:20 pm, and working from 7 to 4. Technically, my shift is 10 to 7, but the team is based on the east coast and this works even better for me. 

Even on my days off and during vacation, I keep to this night schedule - and honestly, I've never slept better (and that much) in my life.

The only thing that sucks is that this forum is a little quiet until the folks from the other side of the Atlantic wake up. Then I can play the song association game with Pwal... 

They say having a consistent sleep schedule (whichever you choose) is best, but I've never been able to do that.  I always sleep in chunks.  A standard sleep cycle is about 90 minutes long so I tend to have two or three sets of these throughout the night/day.  Fortunately, I'm currently working from home which makes it nice.  When I'm awake, I work.  If I'm tired, I take a nap.  I always hated trying to stay awake to keep on someone else's schedule!  Not only was it annoying for me, but the work quality suffered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leadfoot said:

The Loop t-shirt was definitely a blast from the past!

This thread is a blast from the past for me. I haven't listened to April Wine since the hard-rocking (and smoking and drinking and tripping) days of my late teens. I have Harder ... Faster on vinyl.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

Here's one I haven't heard in ages.

The Loop t-shirt was definitely a blast from the past!

Looks like Le Studio, Morin Heights in my native Quebec. Also known as Rush's Abbey Road. Tom Sawyer was also filmed there.

• Like 1