Sonar Platinum Freezes after loading one song!

VC the Great

Question

I have been using Cakewalk since the beginning and been faithful to the DAW and know it well.  I created a new song and it has sends and returns and aux tracks and effects automation you name it... 60 tracks.  My computer is a beast and can handle anything and everything but when I load this song now that its done and try to do anything to it, even just press play, it freezes and and i have to just close the program with ctrl/alt/delete after it says its not responding.  I dont understand why.  Is the file corrupted?  I did change the audio folder to my second drive after hearing the program will run smoother with the program on the operating system drive and the data on another drive.... What do i do?  Is the program corrupted or the cwp being on a different drive than the audio files causing this freeze?  I need help as I'm trying to finish my second album and this is a main song for it.  Can I repair the program without uninstalling it and reinstalling?  Please advise.

Dell system:

Processor    12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K, 3200 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
Windows 11 pro x64

64 RAM

(2) 2TB Drives

Device name    SuperComp

Installed RAM    64.0 GB (63.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

5 answers to this question

1 hour ago, VC the Great said:

I did change the audio folder to my second drive after hearing the program will run smoother with the program on the operating system drive and the data on another drive.... What do i do? 

Just to be clear, the audio is saved per project, and you moved the whole project folder?  Even if you somehow separated the audio from the project, you should just get a "missing audio "notification, not a hang.

Otherwise it shouldn't be a problem but if that's that last thing that changed before it quit working, you should definitely try moving it back.

All versions of Sonar/ Cakewalk have used per project folder for a long time. 
As David just said the audio files are in the project folder and you can move that folder anywhere you like. 
If you are using global audio folders and not per project folders good luck on sorting that out. 
You will have to put the audio back we’re it was and get the project working again. Then use save as with the copy audio box checked and save to the new drive location 

If the audio folder was removed from the project folder I'd think you'd get a warning about the audio being missing.  Like this:

image.png.a2dcae45552694872a09781e2f7781f5.png

Did you get that?

If not...a hard hang like that when trying to launch a project could be a plugin.

Edited by HOOK

did you try holding shift when loading a project to go into safe mode to make sure it's not a plugin?

then you could try reinstalling the SPLAT redistributables as OS updates (if you're using an OS which is getting updates) can easily impact the functionality. i'd try the redistributables first. while re-installing the core app is not a lot of disruptions, it could be, so last choice for me.