Cakewalk not receiving MIDI

Dave Tepper

Question

Hi all, I am a long time Cakewalk user. I have already searched and tried all the solutions I could find on this forum to solve my issue. Since I have moved I have modified my set up and thus I have this issue. I am using the latest version of Cakewalk running a malletkat contoller via midi into a tascam midi/audio interface with external sound modules. I can input parts thru the virtual keyboard and they playback to the interface and sound modules. Now that I switched from a dedicated usb keyboard for input to trying to input via midi through my interface I cannot echo (hear) or record anything. The interface shows midi information coming in. Cakewalk see's my interface and is checked to use it as input and output.  I have the most current interface driver, which I have installed, uninstalled and installed again. Channel is set to all inputs, omni mode. I have the generic ACT midi controller set to my interface for input and output with the ACT and WAI checked. What am I missing?? 

20 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Dave Tepper said:

I have the generic ACT midi controller set to my interface for input and output with the ACT and WAI checked. What am I missing?? 

It's been a while since I had a controller set up to use ACT, but I think you need to remove this. IIRC, when ACT has control of ports, they can't be used for regular "musical" MIDI I/O by another device.

• Like 1

If you have set up a MIDI device’s MIDI port to use ACT, then that MIDI port becomes unavailable elsewhere.

Because of this, many controllers have two virtual MIDI ports therein.  I know the PCR-800 does.

Have a look in Preferences - MIDI - Devices and make sure more than one is selected under “Inputs”.

Determine which one you’ve configured to use ACT.  Then use the other elsewhere.

On 11/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, David Baay said:

It's been a while since I had a controller set up to use ACT, but I think you need to remove this. IIRC, when ACT has control of ports, they can't be used for regular "musical" MIDI I/O by another device.

I added the ACT controller because I thought that may solve the problem, but it has not. I have removed it per your recommendation. Everything remains the same. This should be basic midi stuff but I get no echo or midi recording. Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Edited by Dave Tepper

20 minutes ago, Dave Tepper said:

I added the ACT controller because I thought that may solve the problem, but it has not. I have removed it per your recommendation. Everything remains the same. This should be basic midi stuff but I get no echo or midi recording. Any other suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Yes, this is basic midi stuff.

What virtual synth are you using?  Have you enabled input echo on your MIDI track or Simple Instrument track? 

1 hour ago, Promidi said:

Yes, this is basic midi stuff.

What virtual synth are you using?  Have you enabled input echo on your MIDI track or Simple Instrument track? 

I am running a malletkat contoller via midi into a tascam midi/audio interface with external sound modules. I can input parts thru the virtual keyboard and they playback to the interface and sound modules. Now that I switched from a dedicated usb keyboard for input to trying to input via midi through my interface I cannot echo (hear) or record anything. Yes, I have enabled record and midi echo for whatever track I am using. The interface shows midi information coming in. Cakewalk see's my interface and is checked to use it as input and output.  I have the most current interface driver, which I have installed, uninstalled and installed again. Channel is set to all inputs, omni mode.

1 hour ago, Dave Tepper said:

The interface shows midi information coming in.

The next place to check would the MIDI Activity indicator that CbB places in the System Tray section of the Windows Taskbar when enabled in Preferences > Customization > Display. If that isn't showing flashes on the Input (left) side, then something's not right with the driver and CbB won't be receiving any input.

1 hour ago, Dave Tepper said:

Channel is set to all inputs, omni mode.

Are you able to set the Input of the track to a channel of the Tascam IN port , specifically?

Edited by David Baay

Check list 

1- Midi cable is tested and in good condition. This is not just in but out. 
2- Midi connection directly to sound modules works. ( bypass interfaces) 
3- Midi file playback from DAW plays sound modules. 
4- Midi interface input and output ports are checked in Cakewalk preferences Midi Device. 
5- Midi interface input is chosen as input for midi or simple instrument track in Cakewalk.

6- input echo and recording standby is on and track meter shows activity. 

7- Inputs are set to Omni or the correct channel being used by hardware. 
8 install Midi Ox to confirm midi signal path is working. 

Edited by John Vere

Not sure I know what I'm doing with Midi-Ox, but the Monitor-Input is blank and the Monitor- Output reads as follows:

DEVICE INFORMATION
 IN:   1) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
 OUT:  2) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
   In: 1) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
     Details/Chan: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,CM,RT,Sx
   In: MIDI-OX Events

On 12/10/2023 at 10:25 PM, John Vere said:

Check list 

1- Midi cable is tested and in good condition. This is not just in but out. 
2- Midi connection directly to sound modules works. ( bypass interfaces) 
3- Midi file playback from DAW plays sound modules. 
4- Midi interface input and output ports are checked in Cakewalk preferences Midi Device. 
5- Midi interface input is chosen as input for midi or simple instrument track in Cakewalk.

6- input echo and recording standby is on and track meter shows activity. 

7- Inputs are set to Omni or the correct channel being used by hardware. 
8 install Midi Ox to confirm midi signal path is working. 

Not sure I know what I'm doing with Midi-Ox, but the Monitor-Input is blank and the Monitor- Output reads as follows:

DEVICE INFORMATION
 IN:   1) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
 OUT:  2) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
   In: 1) TASCAM US-122 MKII MIDI
   In: MIDI-OX Events

Because you are using a 5 pin midi cable the problem seems to start there.  
Midi OX and Cakewalk have recognized the Midi input of your Tascam. And as you say the output is working because your sound modules are producing sound. 

So it’s either the midi cable or a setting in your controller. 

You can test the midi cable by swapping it with the ones working properly with your sound modules. 

Didn’t you said your controller has USB?  If it does then why not use that instead? Then make sure the driver is installed and showing in device manager. It would then go directly to your computer and not the Tascam. 

Edited by John Vere

You never said you tried connecting directly to your sound modules. If you want help you should read and try what we suggest or you will not actually be troubleshooting just saying something is broken. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination to determine “what “is not working. 

On 12/15/2023 at 11:59 PM, OutrageProductions said:

I found a post here that is identical to your issue and appears to also be unresolved. There may be a rabbit hole over there at the Tascam forum that you may have to go into and fish around.

Personally, I've never seen or heard glowing reviews of that particular interface. 

Thank you. I will look into this!

On 12/16/2023 at 11:13 AM, John Vere said:

You never said you tried connecting directly to your sound modules. If you want help you should read and try what we suggest or you will not actually be troubleshooting just saying something is broken. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination to determine “what “is not working. 

Sorry,  just getting past the holiday season.  I have checked the midi cable by connecting it directly to my sound module and that worked normally.

9 minutes ago, Dave Tepper said:

Thank you. I will look into this!

So, I did see his point about the color being registered. The midi out functions normally and flashes green. The midi in, which is not functioning normally, flashes red. However, i don't have any idea how to remedy that?