Changing CC Parameters in PRV with Midi Controller Pots?

Stephen Power

Question

Apologies in advance for the newbie question and possible lack of appropriate terminology.

I have a Nektar Impact LX25+ keyboard controller - and not much idea of how to get the best out of it. As of now, I'm only using it for basic functions (mainly the play and record buttons).

Is it possible to assign CC's found in the PRV of Cakewalk to the pots (knobs) of the LX25+? For example, could I write variable expression or velocity values (for example) in the PRV with a pot, rather than using the pen tool, which I find cumbersome and not very accurate. It's also not something I can do while playing, either.

Any advice on that and/or how to get the most from the LX25+ with Cakewalk automation would be very welcome.

11 answers to this question

Use of an external MIDI controller in a DAW is a very useful function, and as you mention, often quite less cumbersome than mouse/pen control. My advice would be to read the documentation regarding the options you have for settings on your MIDI controller - such as the assignment of values to the knobs, for instance, and figuring out how you want to use that in your DAW tracking. You may also need to delve into basic MIDI channel & CC usage, depending on your existing experience level.

Once you know what options are available and how to use the MIDI functionality on your external controller, the next advice would be to read through the DAW documentation on the options for connecting external MIDI controllers, and then decide on which input & control method(s) you want to use in your tracking. There are many workflows possible.

Your initial post refers to "write[ing]" MIDI control values, as well as doing it while playing, so you may want to read the DAW documentation on recording & playback of MIDI from an external controller in real time. Once you learn those basic techniques, you can then follow the documentation on MIDI track editing & playback options, particularly regarding MIDI track CC editing & automation options. -Basically, you can start as simple as recording controls as you play, and eventually decide on whether to edit that recording data as basic MIDI data, or perhaps converting some (or all) of it to automation tracks.   -You can indeed often do better with hands-on MIDI control for data entry, than just using the mouse or a pen onscreen!

• Meh 1

9 minutes ago, JnTuneTech said:

Use of an external MIDI controller in a DAW is a very useful function, and as you mention, often quite less cumbersome than mouse/pen control. My advice would be to read the documentation regarding the options you have for settings on your MIDI controller - such as the assignment of values to the knobs, for instance, and figuring out how you want to use that in your DAW tracking. You may also need to delve into basic MIDI channel & CC usage, depending on your existing experience level.

Once you know what options are available and how to use the MIDI functionality on your external controller, the next advice would be to read through the DAW documentation on the options for connecting external MIDI controllers, and then decide on which input & control method(s) you want to use in your tracking. There are many workflows possible.

Your initial post refers to "write[ing]" MIDI control values, as well as doing it while playing, so you may want to read the DAW documentation on recording & playback of MIDI from an external controller in real time. Once you learn those basic techniques, you can then follow the documentation on MIDI track editing & playback options, particularly regarding MIDI track CC editing & automation options. -Basically, you can start as simple as recording controls as you play, and eventually decide on whether to edit that recording data as basic MIDI data, or perhaps converting some (or all) of it to automation tracks.   -You can indeed often do better with hands-on MIDI control for data entry, than just using the mouse or a pen onscreen!

I asked the question here, as a last resort and after days - maybe a week - of scouring the official Cakewalk 'help' documentation, searching Youtube and reading not only the printed version of the LX25+ handbook but also the PDF 'LX25+ and Cakewalk' one too.

I spent 25 years teaching at universities and if there one thing I do know about; it's research methodology. So, yes, I've already looked elsewhere, to no avail.

• Sad 1

I apologize for understanding the original post title and text incorrectly. Now that I have re-read it, I would have to correct my original response by first answering that I do not currently know of any advice on using knobs on a MIDI controller to change the existing CC parameters as shown in a Cakewalk MIDI track in PRV.  The original advice was based on the rest of the text in the post below the title, and mainly the following section: 

10 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

Any advice on that and/or how to get the most from the LX25+ with Cakewalk automation would be very welcome.

There was no other purpose for the rest of the earlier advice as given. - Do carry on, as I know this is a good forum, and others here will surely be able to give the advice you seek.

You don't “Change CC Parameters in PRV ”, you configure the Nektar’s knobs to transmit various Controller MIDI events with the knobs.

It's the VSTis and any synths that do that actual responding.  The PRV is merely one way to display and edit them.

I tried to find a downloadable user guide for the LX25+ on line to no avail, but that’s where I would start......  Look for programming knobs or something like that....

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Promidi said:

You don't “Change CC Parameters in PRV ”, you configure the Nektar’s knobs to transmit various Controller MIDI events with the knobs.

It's the VSTis and any synths that do that actual responding.  The PRV is merely one way to display and edit them.

I tried to find a downloadable user guide for the LX25+ on line to no avail, but that’s where I would start......  Look for programming knobs or something like that....

I did make it clear (I hope) in my OP that I don't have full grasp of the terminology - or the skills.

See my other post about scouring the manuals and Youtube (and even a book on Cakewalk) for help. I've also had 3 emails from Nektar support, yesterday. But, so far I'm not getting it to work.

Edited by Stephen Power

https://nektartech.com/midi-communication-issues/

Some people think midi-ox is too complicated for beginners, but I think you could use it so see what CCs each of the controls output by default. You could also record them in a midi track in Cakewalk and look at the Event View.

I would look at any software utility tools the hardware uses to see if the defaults can be changed. (Not sure if they can; I don't have any Nektars.)

Its called mapping.  You can map controllers CCs (default or changeable if that's allowed).  Nowadays software synths often allow CCs to be assigned to different parameters / functions. 

FYI: https://nektartech.com/cakewalk-setup-and-troubleshooting-impact/  (might or might not be helpful at this point.)

Found that ^^^ while looking for a MIDI Implementation Guide. 

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

https://nektartech.com/midi-communication-issues/

Some people think midi-ox is too complicated for beginners, but I think you could use it so see what CCs each of the controls output by default. You could also record them in a midi track in Cakewalk and look at the Event View.

See the full section under HOW DOES IMPACT LX25+ MAP FOR YOUR DAW?  https://nektartech.com/impact-lx25-plus/ .  It sounds to me (based on the Cakewalk tab) like they are describing the controller's ability to be used as a Control Surface to control the Cakewalk User Interface.

USER PRESETS & PROGRAMMING MIDI

If you mainly want to use your DAW’s MIDI learn features, Impact LX25+ is easy to come to grips with.
There are 2 non-overlapping, read-only presets on the Mixer and Instrument buttons so you can quickly switch between independent and unique setups. These presets are also used for Impact LX25+’s integrated DAW support.

In addition, 5 user presets are programmed for GM compatible and “learn-friendly” setups plus they can of course be overwritten with your own settings. You could set up Impact LX25+ for use with Pro Tools or Ableton Live for example, both of which have limited integration options. Using Impact LX25+”s generic MIDI controller capabilities, setups can get you quite far. Here is a link to setup examples.

With the Impact LX25+’s “Null” function switched to on, parameter values are stored when you switch between presets so you avoid parameter jumping.

It looks like you can also use the Nektars in conjunction with MIDI Learn.

Hope this helps.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:01 PM, User 905133 said:

See the full section under HOW DOES IMPACT LX25+ MAP FOR YOUR DAW?  https://nektartech.com/impact-lx25-plus/ .  It sounds to me (based on the Cakewalk tab) like they are describing the controller's ability to be used as a Control Surface to control the Cakewalk User Interface.

It looks like you can also use the Nektars in conjunction with MIDI Learn.

Hope this helps.

It does thank you. But, the midi learning thing is confusing. Some instruments (or certain controls on some instruments) will MIDI Learn with a right click, but others instruments (and some controls on other instruments) won't MIDI learn at all.

4 minutes ago, Stephen Power said:

It does thank you. But, the midi learning thing is confusing. Some instruments (or certain controls on some instruments) will MIDI Learn with a right click, but others instruments (and some controls on other instruments) won't MIDI learn at all.

Glad it helps at least a little.  Understanding how different software (hosts, such as DAWs, and plugins, such as VST Instruments) map midi commands (such as CCs) to the software's parameters can indeed be confusing in part because of the way each implements mapping.  In fact, remote control / MIDI learning by clicking on a virtual control in a plugin's UI or using a plugin's parameter list and then moving a control on hardware is relatively new given the history of MIDI communication between hardware and software devices. 

• Like 1