Recording latency and crashing when hitting record... using scarlett 2i2 and WASAPI shared

Simon Webster

Question

Hi, Im a total newbie to the computing side of things with all this- Im getting a delay when hitting record before the count in  click starts and often recording will stop entirely, I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out and researching, all tutorials say the same thing- use ASIO however when i select that , it says realtek ASIO is known to be incompatible with cakewalk, and the only driver mode that will work is WASAPI shared, which has a fixed latency setting by the look of things. Driver settings are all up to date on my focusrite, I have uninstalled then reinstalled and checked they are up to date. Im using Windows 11. Here are the settings preferences: Hope somebody could be of help to get this sorted- thanks!

image.thumb.png.d2ec1a3f5c6d4859b367916451bdf6f6.pngimage.thumb.png.3808e40298141324e9d70215a350ac2d.pngimage.thumb.png.782fcc35015374579e062956d6758bee.png

image.png

image.png

10 answers to this question

First place to start is Google "Scarlett [put gen here] 2i2 drivers" and download the ASIO drivers from Focusrite. If you have 3rd Gen, then "Scarlett 3rd Gen 2i2 drivers."

Focusrite has dedicated ASIO drivers which you want to use, especially when you have recording and playback through the same device. Start there (you may need to reboot after), then set your Driver Mode in CbB to ASIO and adjust the other preference screens (if needed) to focus that device. 128 or 256 as an Audio Buffer is a safe place to start; but if your CPU can handle it, you can start lowering that buffer to improve latency.

• Great Idea 1

16 minutes ago, mettelus said:

First place to start is Google "Scarlett [put gen here] 2i2 drivers" and download the ASIO drivers from Focusrite. If you have 3rd Gen, then "Scarlett 3rd Gen 2i2 drivers."

Focusrite has dedicated ASIO drivers which you want to use, especially when you have recording and playback through the same device. Start there (you may need to reboot after), then set your Driver Mode in CbB to ASIO and adjust the other preference screens (if needed) to focus that device. 128 or 256 as an Audio Buffer is a safe place to start; but if your CPU can handle it, you can start lowering that buffer to improve latency.

Ive gone onto the site downloaded the latest scarlett 3rd gen drivers, PC rebooted after. Gone into cakewalk again and changed the driver mode to ASIO to get this- I understand that it has to be focusrite ASIO but having followed the instructions how would i get to that?

image.png.dfb79fe74dcc5a1e64a060b40a8c9541.png

The RealTek ASIO driver is known to be bad. Try disabling that in Windows Sound Control Panel and see if it takes. There was a post recently that someone said that did not take and they had to drill into their registry to remove it. If you are comfortable with that, you can Google "Removing the RealTek ASIO driver from the Windows Registry." It shouldn't be that convoluted, but seems to be for some.

This video "should" be all that is required to remove that RealTek ASIO driver. I would try that first and see if it takes before ever considering playing in the Windows Registry.

Edited by mettelus

1 hour ago, mettelus said:

The RealTek ASIO driver is known to be bad. Try disabling that in Windows Sound Control Panel and see if it takes. There was a post recently that someone said that did not take and they had to drill into their registry to remove it. If you are comfortable with that, you can Google "Removing the RealTek ASIO driver from the Windows Registry." It shouldn't be that convoluted, but seems to be for some.

This video "should" be all that is required to remove that RealTek ASIO driver. I would try that first and see if it takes before ever considering playing in the Windows Registry.

Gone and uninstalled the realtek but it is still there, even after it tried to and restarted the PC. Had also tried disabling them and watched the other video Above and changed a few settings to no avail. Still comes up with the same realtek ASIO thing in cakewalk, guess ill have to remove it from the Windows Registry?

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, all of the ASIO drivers on your computer are listed under

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO"

The left pane looks almost like a folder tree and you will see a RealTek key (looks like a subfolder) listed under the ASIO tree. You can highlight that key, right click, and delete it. Close the Registry Editor when done, reboot, and CbB shouldn't see it anymore.

17 hours ago, mettelus said:

If you are comfortable with editing the registry, all of the ASIO drivers on your computer are listed under

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO"

The left pane looks almost like a folder tree and you will see a RealTek key (looks like a subfolder) listed under the ASIO tree. You can highlight that key, right click, and delete it. Close the Registry Editor when done, reboot, and CbB shouldn't see it anymore.

Just followed this and now it seems all sorted. Now got the focusrite ASIO driver settings in CbB and the latency is fixed on recording. Thanks for your help!

• Like 3