NI releases "Session Percussionist"

Solidos

1 minute ago, PhonoBrainer said:

Yup. Does anyone know if I upgrade to Kontakt 7 hot mess, if I can still keep my Kontakt 6 and 5 installed and viable?

Aging Win 10 system from 2013.

So cool that kontakt 7 seems required for any newer libraries. What an Apple move.

Installing Kontakt 7 does not affect other installed versions of Kontakt.

• Like 1

To my way of thinking, Percussion Factory is a brilliant user interface for a Euclidean drum sequencer.  One of the best I've seen, along with the iOS Patterning app.   As such, its greatest strength is for making extremely unusual polyrhythms.  It also has a lot more instruments than this. 

The focus of Session Percussionist is not polyrhythms but realism, as it is with the Session Guitars.   The trade-off is that you get less choices with all the Session series.  You kind of have to work with what's there.  But it sounds the most real for me.     It comes down to what you value most for your music.  What are you looking for? 

I've learned that I can make my music work with what I can get out of the Session series, particularly when I combine them. 

But I also could see getting Percussion Factory someday at the right price, because I like Euclidean, and it is ideal for world music.   There are a ton of Euclidean sequencers out there from various companies, from free to $150.  Falcon has three of them. It's a bare-boned feature in Beatbox Anthology.   Output's Movement.  But the user interface on Percussion Factory is so clear and easy to use. 

But the truth is, most of the time my percussion tracks are very simple, with no more than three instruments.

Edited by Reid Rosefelt
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Installing Kontakt 7 does not affect other installed versions of Kontakt.

On the other hand, if you update some libraries (e.g. Noire), they will no longer work in Kontakt 6, only Kontakt 7.

• Like 2