Positive Grid Bias FX2 Nov 2023 screen resolution dilemma

lawajava

In September 2023 Positive Grid released version v2_6_1_6290.  It's fantastic.  Some new amp sounds. The DSP is improved. The sound is killer.  The UI looks fantastic.  Totally digging it.

In Nov 2023 they release version v2_7_0_6600.  On my Windows machine (I use Studio One Pro) the screen resolution is zoomed in for Bias FX 2. I only see a portion of the UI for this VST.  Going to their website they have some troubleshooting tips.  None of them worked.  Seems like they put the burden of having the screen look right for users on the users, rather than in the UI design.  It's a pity.  I rolled back to the previous version and everything looks as expected and sounds great.  Seems like I may be stuck on that version at least for a while.

Sigh!

• 1 month later...

Had the SAME problem! Fortunately, I figured out a workaround.

• Go ahead and do their recommendations and then, when you're inside of Studio One...
  • insert it as an effect where F12 shows/hides it when toggled.
  • Then, switch the view to a different track,
  • then switch back and viola! You should be able to see every part of the display  including the right side which was previously completely hidden.

If you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll provide a more in-depth response. But since I'm not even sure if you're even going to see this , I don't see the need to shout into the abyss.

Hope this helps,

Paul

19 hours ago, Realto said:

Had the SAME problem! Fortunately, I figured out a workaround.

• Go ahead and do their recommendations and then, when you're inside of Studio One...
  • insert it as an effect where F12 shows/hides it when toggled.
  • Then, switch the view to a different track,
  • then switch back and viola! You should be able to see every part of the display  including the right side which was previously completely hidden.

If you can't get it to work, let me know and I'll provide a more in-depth response. But since I'm not even sure if you're even going to see this , I don't see the need to shout into the abyss.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Paul - thanks much!  Great to know. I had followed their instructions and had no success. But you’ve presented a new tip here which is great.

Personally it just so happens I’m now in the midst of switching from a Windows machine to a Mac.  It may be a non issue in the first place on the Mac when I install Bias FX 2.  But I’m not there yet. I’ll know soon enough!  If it’s not displaying correctly I’ll have your tip to try.

It's not an issue on a Mac, which is no shock. I haven't used mine much since I put an SSD in my Windows 10 box so I could run Superior Drummer 3  on it. If you wind up having issues, tho, and my fix doesn't work for you, follow up and I should be able to help you get it working on Windows 10/11,

• 3 weeks later...

@Realto - wacky!   It was. not an issue on the Mac.  Looked great, sounded great.  But then I clicked on Preferences just to see what was there and on display I saw an option for Responsive.  I tried that to see if I would get some screen scaling or something.  Nope, it locked me into the same issue I had previously on Windows.

But!  I discovered tonight (after much frustration) the following.  Just as a Hail Mary I loaded the Audio Unit version.  It actually loaded with a giant screen, but did reveal the menu on the right side.  It allowed me to change back from Responsive to Standard.  Once I did that the VST3 version worked again for me on the Mac.

The Positive Grid developers have gone off the rails on this display thing.  Otherwise it's fantastic and my go to for an amp sim.

• 3 months later...
On 11/6/2023 at 2:07 PM, lawajava said:

On my Windows machine (I use Studio One Pro) the screen resolution is zoomed in for Bias FX 2. I only see a portion of the UI for this VST.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can disable Enhanced Display Scaling in S1's options. I think in S1 it's a global option whereas Cakewalk allows you to do it on a per-plug-in basis.

Hazarding a guess, I'd say it looks like Positive Grid are a "Mac shop" and in those, there may be a failure to do extensive testing with Windows, because few people at the company like testing on Windows.