No audio after changing audio interface!

Holger

Question

Hello, 

since the latest update (the final) of Cakewalk bbl I have a serious issue with audio. 

When I change the audio interface (and therefore the audio driver) from Zoom H4n Pro to MOTU the whole project is silence. No more audio! 

I tried to change the project name, saved it under a different name, used the packed project feature, moved the projects to another PC.  Nothing helps! 

I cannot bring the project back to play a single noise. 

Any ideas? 

Intel 5 11.Gen Windows 11 16GB Ram

This is the problem with threads like this as I think we all ask this question at least 5 times and we’re told it was set to the hardware. It is most likely just a communication problem. 

I guess best to ask for screen shots at the start as they often resolve issues that texting in different languages might not reveal. And then toss in all the geeky terminology. 

And the OP might not be aware of the hidden hardware bus. It's a hidden secret. 

The master output was the very first thing came to mind. 

Edited by John Vere

4 minutes ago, John Vere said:

This is the problem with threads like this as I think we all ask this question at least 5 times and we’re told it was set to the hardware. It is most likely just a communication problem. 

Thank you! I really hope that you've found the problem! Shame on me if it is that simple but great to have support! 

Cheers

Holger

Will be back tomorrow and let you know if I can make this project audible again with only one simple click! 

🙈

On 11/4/2023 at 6:05 AM, mark skinner said:

Look at the output on your Master track. Where is it sending the signal ?     Zoom ? Motu ?  Nowhere ?

The above  was your first reply. So the answer/solution was given 3 days ago. 

7 hours ago, Holger said:

No for all 4 questions. And I cannot record new audio in this project when I add a new track, set it to record and try to record audio. Also, I cannot reproduce this problem when I start a brandnew project.

I missed this answer as it was on page 1,  This is also due to when you set the Master to "none" I just tested this. Setting to none turns off the audio engine. 

The reason most likely  is this project was saved when no audio device was present. This defaults to "None" 

I didn't know this until I tested.  Took a project and I set the output to None, save it and close. I open another project and it is correctly set to the hardware. Re open the project I saved with None,  and it is still set to none so no Audio.    If it's always been this way I've never noticed before because I guess I always have something connected. But problem solved and I learned 2 new facts. 

Screenshot(1453).thumb.png.80e9c67aff5394b6c2f07a30aa265011.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, John Vere said:

I didn't know this until I tested.  Took a project and I set the output to None, save it and close. I open another project and it is correctly set to the hardware. Re open the project I saved with None,  and it is still set to none so no Audio.    If it's always been this way I've never noticed before because I guess I always have something connected. But problem solved and I learned 2 new facts. 

What I see when I switch between devices on the same PC (MOTU in ASIO and my HDMI in WASAPI) is that if I have the hardware output set to the second output on the MOTU, save and re-open in WASAPI mode, then since there is only one hardware output on the HDMI, 2 doesn't map to anything, so the output is set to -- Nothing --.  It's irritating, and I've been bitten by it a few times in the past.

• Thanks 1

Yes exactly an issue I ran into years ago with my Motu and Scarlett.
To prevent that what I did to use the 3/4 outputs was I create a second master that goes to 3/4.
. I then add a send pre fader on the master bus that goes to the second master bus. This way I can use 2 different sets of speakers solo or both using the send and the master fader. 
Now my Zoom L8 has 3 Auxiliaries so it is controlled with the interface not Cakewalk.
 I have lots of older projects that still have that second master. And of course that doesn’t interfere with the audio if the 3/4 are not connected to anything. The master is still available to 1/2 

• Great Idea 1

To be fair this was nothing you find in the manual directly. That said , the OP did have the answer in the very first reply but then claimed they had checked this and it was fine.
 Possibly this is just another one of those language issues that seem common here because we are very global.  This is why screenshots are important.

I’ve seen plenty of 3 page threads that if the OP had posted a screenshot in first post would have been resolved in first reply. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

15 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

No offense, but what happened to you were going to put me on your ignore list?

You sure do love to jump in and get offended by things I say to someone else that don't concern you.

Byron you said "no offense" how about just stick to it? 🤫

18 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

No offense, but if you hadn't been too smart to "need a manual" you would have solved this in five minutes.

1. That's not true

2. It is never helpful to answer a question in a support forum with "read the *****ing manual (rtfm) or, in this case "watch this video"

I'm glad that we've found the issue and I am grateful for the help! 

Just read the thread again, you will see what I mean. 

• Like 1