Cakewalk Not Re-Opening After Closing Project: Could This be the Reason?

Stephen Power

Question

I've got an issue where Cakewalk is not re-opening (at all) after I close any project I'm working on. I need to go into Task manager (Win 11) and right-click on Cakewalk and 'end task', it will then open again (once).

One of my projects gives me this message when I open it: 'This product can not be downloaded because it does not exist on the content server'.

I'm guessing that this might be the source of the  issue. But, I don't know which 'product' is being referred to, or how to get rid of the message. All of the tracks are playing, so it seems all of the plugins work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

download.png

9 answers to this question

Open the project that displays the download error in safe mode (hold shift while opening) to see of you can narrow down the plugin causing this.  Start by eliminating ones that you know it could not be.

If, after removing the found plugin and Cakewalk is still not re-opening, this looks like a driver issue.  This is when I would do a driver check (manufacturer's websites, not Windows update.

Note: I have a script that closes the cakewalk.exe process. This script contains the following command.

wmic process where name="Cakewalk.exe" call terminate

Yes, I could use taskkill but I have found this not to do it sometime.

On 10/27/2023 at 7:47 PM, Promidi said:

Open the project that displays the download error in safe mode (hold shift while opening) to see of you can narrow down the plugin causing this.  Start by eliminating ones that you know it could not be.

If, after removing the found plugin and Cakewalk is still not re-opening, this looks like a driver issue.  This is when I would do a driver check (manufacturer's websites, not Windows update.

Note: I have a script that closes the cakewalk.exe process. This script contains the following command.

Yes, I could use taskkill but I have found this not to do it sometime.

Thanks for your reply. Having removed 2 tracks, the error message I was getting vanished. But, Cakewalk won't open again after closing (if I use the red X in top right corner). If I close the project and re-open another one from inside CW, no problems.

Can you walk me through how you apply the script, when you have time, please? I can't find any other solution to the problem of CW not re-opening, without having to end task in Task manager.

I'm not sure which driver would be at fault? Is there a way to find out? I found another very long thread in this forum about a similar issue, and there does not seem to be one definite solution.

some thoughts

- if you close the project first, wait until the start screen re-appears, then select File -> Exit -- any difference?

- what is your audio driver? it's possible that CW is not able to close the audio "connection" or reset it and the exiting simply leave the process running even if the UI is closed.

• Like 1

Your driver for your audio interface.

To “apply the script”, create a file with a bat extension with any text editor (notepad.exe will do)

Put the following in there and save.

Remember the location, maybe even create a shortcut to it

Pressing winkey + R and putting the above therein and hitting OK will also terminate Cakewalk

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 5:49 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

some thoughts

- if you close the project first, wait until the start screen re-appears, then select File -> Exit -- any difference?

- what is your audio driver? it's possible that CW is not able to close the audio "connection" or reset it and the exiting simply leave the process running even if the UI is closed.

Well, I'm using a Berhinger UMC22 for the audio output, and the computer audio driver is NVidia HD. So, I'm not sure which one may be malfunctioning?

On 10/30/2023 at 6:56 PM, Promidi said:

Your driver for your audio interface.

To “apply the script”, create a file with a bat extension with any text editor (notepad.exe will do)

Put the following in there and save.

Remember the location, maybe even create a shortcut to it

Pressing winkey + R and putting the above therein and hitting OK will also terminate Cakewalk

I'm not having any joy with that. I must be 'missing' something.