Staff view, events not showing

Moods in Music

Question

Interesting bug, which I have seen before. Some of the notes and other events are not showing in the Staff view, but if you look in the Events view, they are there! They play fine even though they don't show in the Staff view. If you use the Events view to change their location a tick, then they'll show up in the Staff view. The problem occurred after nudging the entire project. (Sliding apparently doesn't work with automation.) There are hundreds of events affected, so manually fixing the problem is not really an option. I tried restarting Cakewalk, of course. Anyone seen this problem? Something simple to fix, like clicking option 1!11. 

image.png

Edited by Moods in Music
Remove redundant signature

9 answers to this question

I can't repro that. Is it reproducible? If so, how far did you nudge, what are the musical values (i.e. timing intervals) of the notes that disappeared, what's the value of Display Resolution and do you have Fill/Trim Durations enabled?

Might be helpful to share a copy of the affected MIDI clip.

Also, I'm not seeing a problem sliding automation; you just need to make sure the nodes are selected.

I nudged by a few ticks at a time. The missing ones seem to be on measure boundaries for some reason. If I nudge them one forward, they appear. If I nudge them back, they disappear. They still show in the Events views, but not in the Staff view. Fill and Trim are not on. The display resolution has no effect.

See video attached. The note showing is E3 eighth note at 2:01. Note how it reappears on the Staff view when changing the position just slightly. 

NotesNotOnStaffView.mkv

Hmmm... I thought it might be due to nudging the note outside the slip boundary, but that would make is disappear from the Event List as well, and the clip boundary should expand with the nudge. But I think it's telling that the note isn't just failing to be drawn, it's being replaced with a rest.

I can't repro with the the same notes in a test project, but I'm wondeirng if it might have something to do with the tempo changes which I can't read to replicate. The high density  of changes looks like something Melodyne drag-to-timeline would generate. I have seen high-density tempo changes like that cause other display anomalies.

Edited by David Baay

I have attached a very simple Cakewalk file—just one track of four measures. The sequence starts on the 2nd measure.

If I select-all and slide -12 ticks, the first note of each measure disappears in the Staff view, but the missing notes still play. Oddly, if you slide it one measure to the left, then slide it -12 ticks, the problem does not occur. Nor does the problem occur if you convert it to a MIDI file. 

Anyway, for those of us who use the Staff view extensively, it's a problem. However, Cakewalk is going through some changes. Presumably, it will not be a bug with the update. 

image.png.3c54470666b63240e35f04fe74c1d8c7.png

Moods in Music
www.moodsinmusic.com

Bug-Slide.cwp

i'm finding i do a lot of composition in Hookpad and Musescore. or both. a rough draft in Hookpad, export MIDI and bring into Musescore to then fine tune, merge, expand, create the melodies etc. export to MIDI for CbB and any final tweaks and edits. maybe re-export from the DAW in needed to ensure my sheet music is aligned. 

it's a weird combination of "blocks" and music notation. i'm not really a fan of tabs (for me it's harder than plain old sheet music, no idea why). 🙂